Permit Pickup at McCargoe Cove?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

ibrocn

Permit Pickup at McCargoe Cove?

Post by ibrocn »

We're planning a 4 night trip to the island in August. We've booked reservations on Voyageur II disembarking at McCargoe Cove and then spending 4 nights hiking to Rock Harbor to catch the boat for home. I noticed on the NPS website that we need to pickup our camping permit once we arrive on the island. I paid our User Fee already. Will I be able to pickup our camping permit at McCargoe Cove when we arrive? If not can I pick it up anywhere else? Maybe somewhere back in Grand Portege or maybe at Windigo while Voyageur II is stopped there before heading to McCargoe Cove?

Thanks!
Brian
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Permit Pickup at McCargoe Cove?

Post by Ingo »

The VII stops at Windigo where you will get the ranger's orientation on the dock, and then time to head up to the ranger station where you'll get your permit. If there's a bunch of folks they'll usually let the continuing passengers to the front of the line so you can get back to the boat. No worries.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH