Gps coordinates

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Gps coordinates

Post by RockRiver »

Does anyone have the gps coordinates for Siskiwit Bay and Big Todd Harbor campgrounds? We will go back this May for our third kayak trip and I like to navigate with a combination of chart and gps. Very handy to have a gps on a foggy day. On our 2014 trip we would not have found the entrance to McCargoe Cove if I had not waypointed the bouys. It was so foggy that morning you could't see across the Amygdaoid Channel.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Gps coordinates

Post by IncaRoads »

If you use a geo-referenced topo map program like ACME Mapper 2.1 you can gather the gps coordinates yourself. Drag the map such that the screen center crosshair is on the location of interest and read the coordinates from the display box in the lower right portion of the screen.

Link to ACME Mapper 2.1 -----> http://mapper.acme.com
RockRiver
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by RockRiver »

Thanks, IncaRoads. That was a very useful site. I create waypoints in Garmin Base Camp and then import to my gps for the trip. If anyone needs to know where to get the locations of aids to navigation (light houses, bouys, etc), the US Coast Guard Light List provides them.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Google Earth can also perform the same function where the GPS coordinates of the cursor are displayed. It also has a feature called "Add Placemark". The Placemark data can be exported to native Google "KMZ" and "KML" formats. Garmin Base Camp and other device programs can import the Google formatted files.

Google Earth Free Version
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013