HiKing the Greenstone with a 4 and 9 year old

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Pecan314
NewbieCake

HiKing the Greenstone with a 4 and 9 year old

Post by Pecan314 »

Hello. I was looking for insight on hiking the entirety of the Greenstone trail with My sister and my two nephews. we would be arriving June 4th and departing June 10th. Last year, around that same time, I headed out solo for my first trip to the island and fell in love. At the time I went around the Huginnin, up a bit of the Minong, around Washington harbor, did a little of the Greenstone, and around Rainbow Cove to Feldtmann Lake. I loved it and was lucky enough to come across some moose. The kids that I am bringing are fantastic Hikers, and have some experience doing many hikes in state parks around Minnesota as well as portions of the Superior hiking trail. They have hiked each MN hiking club trail (and others) from all 9 State parks on the North Shore without issue, as well as a number of trails in state parks elsewhere. We average around 10-15 miles a day. My only reservation is I'm not sure how the entire Greenstone trail compares to the conditions they are accustomed to hiking. I would appreciate any tips or advice. Thanks again!!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: HiKing the Greenstone with a 4 and 9 year old

Post by JerryB »

You obviously know these kids, but I have a hard time imagining a four year old doing that hike. I also have a bias for other routes than just the Greenstone. With the kids in mind, you should be aware that most campsites are well below the Greenstone and will require a good hike back up to the trail. Perhaps, consider a route like this:
McCargo, Todd Harbor, Hatchett, Chickenbone West, Moskey and Chippewa (for pick up). That would give you a couple of low mileage days. If you do not stay at McCargo (you will get there around 2pm) and direct to Todd, you have the option of a layover day somewhere. If need be, you could also bypass Moskey to gain a layover day (both moskey and McCargo are great sites). This route will allow you greater flexibility to make changes based on how the kids are doing.

Just a thought. Good Luck!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Hey there! I haven't been around much lately, but I saw this and thought I would throw in my 2¢ :)

IMHO the 9 yr old will likely not have any issues with the Greenstone. They both sound like real go-getters! With my experience with my Daughter on the island...(she did the Minong at 5) she came out better than the adults, and she carried all her own gear. From what I have experienced is that the island becomes a mental game. The time away from home and the unknown distances can be an issue at times . The rain can kill their spirits super fast! So find ways to keep it fun! I do fun snacks, animal bingo, scavenger hunts and any other trick in the book that works! Hiking with kids is awesome!

The 4 yr old is a small concern ....but like Jerry said, you guys know these kids better! I personally would not take my 4 yr old son on the Greenstone , he doesn't have the same drive as my Daughter. I carried him on many hikes last year and this year he is on his own! We are planning a series of shorter days to run him into it. It sounds like an impressive resume ....but the days are long and hard for short legs.

Hope this helps a little.....and no matter what be safe and have fun!
Gotta love those little hikers! :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Pecan314
NewbieCake

Post by Pecan314 »

Thanks so much for the replies! The route we've settled on is camping at 3 mile the firsts night followed by W. Chicken Bone, then Hatchet Lake, S. Lake Desor, and then a couple of nights at Washington creek. What do you guys think? I'm actually really confident in their abilities to push through and hike. Just bought this seasons hiking boots for them to start breaking in. Thanks again forecast input!
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Re: RE: Re: HiKing the Greenstone with a 4 and 9 year old

Post by tree rattt »

In my opinion you have some long days in there for a little one....but it looks like you have a day or 2 to play with. Between w ckn bn and hatchet ...water up when you can there is a nice stream in there. The switchbacks are kinda cool when climbing the ridge! This stretch also has some beautiful vistas if you leave the trail and bushwack up the ridge...consult your map.It takes a few minutes and pays huge rewards! Dropping down into Hatchet is steep in spots....but easily dooable.Hatchet to S Desor is uneventful....but beautiful! This section can be very wet and muddy that time of year. Water up before you leave!!!! Fill when and where u can.S desor to Washington creek, well me personally ....it would not be for me! It has a lot of down hill....but not for me! Just a personal choice :) . All in all doable ...pace yourselves, water water water" Don't be afraid to explore a little! If it rains.....slippery rocks can slow u down, bigtime! I hope you all have a great trip! It will be a lot of fun, the kids will remember it forever :)

A bushwack view

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1458398425936.jpg