Newbie trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Dreaming tree
NewbieCake

Newbie trip

Post by Dreaming tree »

Ok, next question. Wife and I planning a June trip. # of days are flexible, is Greenstone ridge a good choice for newbie? We are very healthy. Mileage and terrain not an issue. Just looking for most senic route and ideal camp locations along the way.
10 miles a day will be no problem for us. Planning to be there minimum 6-8 days.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Newbie trip

Post by JerryB »

Greenstone is not the most interesting trail. I think most people prefer Lake Superior sites. The answer to your question will depend on which end of the island you will be coming in and leaving from. Some options are Feldtman Loop, McCargo, Chippewa, Moskey, Todd Harbor. How you would piece those together is another issue.
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by 3MTA3 »

If deciding between the two & terrain isn't an issue, I'd go with the Minong. The views are great. Greenstone is a canopy of trees with some good views peppered in.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

The Greenstone is the most heavily traveled long distance trail on ISRO (which can be an issue at camp grounds). There are a few technical spots, but overall it is "easy". There are some nice views of Lake Siskiwit and of both coasts (from the firetower at Mount Objibway -- not so much from Ishpeming Point).

The campgrounds on the Greenstone do not have tables or shelters.

On the Minong, McCargoe Cove and Todd Harbor have tables and shelters; the rest of the campgrounds between TH and Windigo do not. The views from the Minong are spectacular.

With 8 days you could make a big loop involving the Minong and the Greenstone...