Zone 14 backcountry

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

hermsker
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Zone 14 backcountry

Post by hermsker »

Anybody here camped in backcountry zone 14 before? I go about 10 miles a day and plan to head in that direction my first day from Rock Harbor. I have been to IR before and have backcountry experience in zone 1 and 41, but never hiked further east than West Chickenbone on the Greenstone. Looking to stop around the Mt. Ojibway or Sargent Lake area. What is the landscape like around there? Anywhere flat and dry enough to pitch a tent, or is it pretty rough/marshy terrain. I can pack in the hammock if necessary but wasn't planning on it. Unfortuantely I only get 5 days on this trip and want to get to Todd Harbor the 2nd night, as its my favorite campsite. I dont think I will make it all the way to East Chickenbone, so it looks like Zone 14 is a good spot. All advice is appreciated. TIA
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Zone 14 backcountry

Post by Base654 »

I haven't gone off trail in that area, but if my memory serves, there isn't really a way to get to 14, except from the north. I think that part of the greenstone is steep/cliff going to sargent lake. I have done rock harbor to moskey aftter getting of the ranger (Moskey is my favorite) and moskey to mccargoe the next day before lunch. Todd wouldn't be much further. I have also done daisy the first night and mccargoe by early afternoon. I would suggest daisy the first night with an early start the next day. But, hey, I'm carzy and do 15 mile days. i just did a google search for "ojibway sargent" and got a few pics of the area.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Zone 14 backcountry

Post by Midwest Ed »

I remember Johnhens mentioning that he has fished Sargent Lake after getting there from the Greenstone Ridge Trail.

honouredamongfoxes talks about entering from the McCargoe basin.

And then there was this report from porter.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013