Three Mile --> Chippewa Harbor

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

carol.tran
NewbieCake

Three Mile --> Chippewa Harbor

Post by carol.tran »

Hi all! Just wanted to get some veteran's perspective on a certain leg of my itinerary, and whether you all think it is feasible. I will be arriving on Tuesday, June 14 via the Ranger III (probably get in around 3pm) and leaving Saturday, June 18. I would really like to visit both Chippewa Harbor and Moskey Basin during my stay, so was thinking of the following itinerary:

- Day 1: Rock Harbor --> 3 Mile
- Day 2: 3 Mile --> Chippewa Harbor
- Day 3: Chippewa Harbor --> Moskey
- Day 4: Moskey --> Rock Harbor

The portion between 3 Mile and Chippewa would be roughly 14 miles . . . is this too lofty of a goal based upon the terrain?

Some information on me: I'm 28, 120#, average fitness level. I don't hike regularly but have done a couple of 8-9 milers in Zion and Bryce in the recent past that were considered "Strenuous" after lazing around in the preceding months at an office job, without any issue. While I would consider myself slower compared to others, I usually am on the trail by 6:30 A.M. This is my first time backpacking, and my base pack (including camera equipment) will be ~20 lbs.

My contingency plan is simply to go from 3 Mile to Moskey and then just spending 2 nights there. But, I would appreciate input from folks who have been there who may have more information about the section from Moskey --> Chippewa, which could factor into my decision-making when I reach Moskey and need to decide whether to continue onwards. Thanks!
Last edited by carol.tran on Tue May 31, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Three Mile --> Chippewa Harbor

Post by Tom »

Given it's early June and days are long, any reason you're not hiking to Daisy the first day? That would knock another 4.4 miles off the next day, and a stretch that will burn the legs a little from all the up and down on rock.

For the outbound leg, the 'hardest' stretch may be the first half between Daisy and Moskey. The easiest, the second half between Daisy and Moskey. The rest of the trip is somewhere in-between. The trail between Moskey and Ritchie is well tread, and not overly strenuous. It can be used as a portage, albeit a long one. Other than some rocky roots, it's a pretty easy trail to hike, and you're going slightly uphill most of the way. You could always stay at Ritchie, or turn back to Moskey, when you get to the lake. The Ritchie camp is a little further down the trail from the intersection to head off to Chippewa, so you won't pass through camp unless you decide to walk that way.
The trail from Ritchie to Chippewa meanders up and down, but mostly down. It crosses a couple ridges but nothing that is a tiring climb nor overly strenuous. As you get near camp it gets a bit more rocky/bluff like but the trails stays pretty true to what you've been hiking on prior to that. I do love Chippewa... AND Moskey. A couple of great camps. Threemile and Daisy are solid, but many hikers coming for short trips from the MI side don't get past them, so there is benefit to pushing on.
carol.tran
NewbieCake

Post by carol.tran »

Great suggestion with heading to Daisy the first day. My initial concern was that the Ranger III doesn't arrive until late on Tuesday so I will be getting quite a late start. But the days are long! I think that is what I'll aim for . . . Thanks. :)
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I agree with Daisy. on my first trip to the island, 3 mile was full and I had to move on. I haven't stayed at 3 mile since. I like to do the first bit of the trail at high speed to get out ahead of the rest of the boat, then slow to a reasonable pace. I haven't been to Chippewa, I always turn right at Moskey and head to the other side. Have fun!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

For shorter stays that are desiring to cover some sizable distances, there is a water taxi service available. It's a bit pricey, especially for just one person, but you could be in Chippewa Harbor the day you arrive. Then you could see and do more as you make your way back to Rock Harbor, maybe take the longer and more scenic Greenstone Ridge route from Daisy Farm. If you don't opt for the water taxi boost then I would also suggest you take the Tobin Harbor trail out of Rock Harbor instead of the Rock Harbor trail. It's quite a bit easier footing so you'll get into Daisy Farm a little sooner. It also makes the final leg back into Rock Harbor a bit easier.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

To directly answer your question, that 14 miles is do-able from Three Mile to Chippewa. It's relatively flat, although rocky at times. It's a gradual climb out of Daisy Farm, then once you get onto the trail that heads south into Chippewa just before Lake Richie, it's really easy, almost downhill.

I'll also agree with Tom and Base654...just head to Daisy the first day. You will be going out to Isle Royale early (jealous!), so Daisy Farm won't be like NYC just yet (it takes the warm months for that to occur). Daisy should be relatively peaceful and it will make that 14-mile, second-day hike a lot more palpable.

Your ripcord plan of Moskey Basin for two days isn't a bad idea either. You can't go wrong with Moskey, and the probability of having the campsite to your self is high that time of year. I won't fully talk you out of Chippewa though, as my one of my favorite places on the island is the bluff behind the group campsites. If you want an amazing sunset, take some snacks and a drink through the campsites, then follow the "trail" and "tailings" up the bluff for 15 minutes and post up and enjoy an incredible view and sunset.
carol.tran
NewbieCake

Post by carol.tran »

I appreciate all of the responses!!! Everyone on this forum is so helpful.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Since you're arriving in June the sun is not going to set until after your arrival at Daisy Farm. Depending on your pace, you could get there by 8 pm. I've been lucky and have actually arrived there at 7:30 pm once and got a shelter.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Another vote for Daisy Farm the first day. Also, get a good early start your last day so you don't have to feel rushed - the trail is a bit tough in places.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
carol.tran
NewbieCake

Post by carol.tran »

Thanks everyone! I went to Daisy Farm the first day, which enabled me to make it to Chippewa the second. I actually ended up returning to Daisy Farm the third day because I had already stopped at Moskey twice to enjoy a meal/snack to/from Chippewa and wanted to make the last leg more manageable. The suggestion to take the Tobin Harbor trail was also really helpful and eased these first-timer aching knees and feet. :)