Looking for feedback

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

chicagoyooper
NewbieCake

Looking for feedback

Post by chicagoyooper »

Headed to Isle Royale in late July, it'll be my first trip there and I'm hoping to get some good feedback on my planned route. I'm a moderately experienced backpacker who's lived in the UP for quite a while so I'm used to playing in the local terrain. I should add that I'm planning this as a solo trip although I may get lucky and have a friend or two come with.

Friday: Arrive in Copper Harbor/side trip to Rocket Range
Saturday: Arrive at Rock Harbor, hike to Lane Cove
Sunday: Hike from Lane Cove to Chickenbone Lake via Greenstone
Monday: Hike from Chickenbone to Daisy Farm
Tuesday: Hike from Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor and get on the boat

I'm thinking this might be too ambitious, so I'm also considering cutting out Chickenbone or Lane Cove and stopping at Three Mile or doing a dayhike day out to Lookout Louise or McCargoe.

I appreciate any/all feedback, next year I'm planning on a proper trip to the Island.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Looking for feedback

Post by Base654 »

Day 2 is a big day, but if you're in shape it should be ok. You do have the option of daisy farm half way through day two if you're not up to it, then day hike to moskey Monday. Your options are good too...
chicagoyooper
NewbieCake

Post by chicagoyooper »

Base654 wrote:Day 2 is a big day, but if you're in shape it should be ok. You do have the option of daisy farm half way through day two if you're not up to it, then day hike to moskey Monday. Your options are good too...
Thanks for the feedback!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Not too strenuous if you are in shape. If you cut anything, I would leave Lane Cove in as it is the "wildest" of the campgrounds within easy reach of Rock Harbor.
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
chicagoyooper
NewbieCake

Post by chicagoyooper »

Keweenaw wrote:Not too strenuous if you are in shape. If you cut anything, I would leave Lane Cove in as it is the "wildest" of the campgrounds within easy reach of Rock Harbor.
That's kinda what I was hoping for. I'm not big on canoes so it seems that I'm limited in that way but I'd like to get away from the crowds as much as possible.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

chicagoyooper wrote: ... I'd like to get away from the crowds as much as possible.
July and August are the busiest times on Isle Royale, with the eastern end of the island being the busiest. If you really want to get away from the crowds during that time, you might consider visiting the western end of the island.

Regarding seeing the Rocket Range, make sure that you use a vehicle with enough ground clearance to traverse Mandan Road. Since you lived for quite a while in the UP you probably know this. I took a regular car out there a few years back and it took me 2 hours each way to slowly pick my way around all the rocks, potholes, and water hazards. For those not familiar with the Keweenaw Rocket Range, here is a link ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keweenaw_Rocket_Range
chicagoyooper
NewbieCake

Post by chicagoyooper »

IncaRoads wrote:
chicagoyooper wrote: ... I'd like to get away from the crowds as much as possible.
July and August are the busiest times on Isle Royale, with the eastern end of the island being the busiest. If you really want to get away from the crowds during that time, you might consider visiting the western end of the island.

Regarding seeing the Rocket Range, make sure that you use a vehicle with enough ground clearance to traverse Mandan Road. Since you lived for quite a while in the UP you probably know this. I took a regular car out there a few years back and it took me 2 hours each way to slowly pick my way around all the rocks, potholes, and water hazards. For those not familiar with the Keweenaw Rocket Range, here is a link ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keweenaw_Rocket_Range
For times sake this trip is going to have to be the East End of the Island in peak season, I don't quite have the money for a round trip plane ticket. I've driven the Mandan a few times (up to bare bluff) and I wouldn't take anything besides my pickup out there!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

chicagoyooper wrote:Headed to Isle Royale in late July. . .
Friday: Arrive in Copper Harbor/side trip to Rocket Range
Friday and Saturday (July 29 & 30), provided the weather looks halfway decent, I plan to be camping at High Rock Bay and Keystone Bay.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013