Minong trail

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

hiker 51
NewbieCake

Minong trail

Post by hiker 51 »

Planning another trip to IR in a few weeks. It has been many years since the last time hiking the Minong Trail. I would like to hear from anyone who has hiked its length this summer. Any observations would be helpful, ie wet areas, creek crossings, beaver dams, overall trail conditions. My hiking friend wants to know what she can expect, me i just go and deal with whatever comes along. Thx
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Minong trail

Post by JerryB »

I was on a small portion of the trail in may--McCargo to Todd to the cross over to hatchet lake. This is not part of the trail that usually poses any problems and it was fine in May. Keep in mind the helicopter activity at McCargo this summer. It may be over now, but I am not sure.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

My daughter and I hiked the Minong in August 2013. You can look through the trail reports for details. "Kari and Wally do the Minong".
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Mark_NK8Q
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Mark_NK8Q »

I didn't do the length of it, but picked it up from Todd (coming from Hatchett Lake) and to McCargoe Cove. That is the easier portion from what I understand. It was very nice and I was glad to experience that portion. On a few of the rock ridges I had to backtrack and then found the small stone cairns marking the way but otherwise it was VERY nice, definitely one of my favorites of the week!

I did not notice any helicopter activity at McCargoe for the 1-1/2 days that I spent there (arrived the evening of June 29th and left around 1 PM on July 1). The only helicopter that I noticed was one that flew across a trail, from the north to the south, quite high up, and I think I was on the Greenstone at the time, I think between Lake Desore and Hatchett Lake.