Trail Intel

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mjamo001
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Trail Intel

Post by mjamo001 »

My wife and I are hiking the island from East to West in mid August and would welcome any notes on the trails and/or conditions from others. Although we are familiar with the trails up to Hatchet Lake, we have not ventured West of that point. From Rock Harbor we intend to walk the Greenstone Ridge Trail, head South on the Island Mine Trail, then take the Feldtmann Ridge to Windigo and catch the mailboat back to Rock Harbor. Any notes to pass along? We are really looking forward to this bucket list hike, have always wanted to make the full length someday and this is it! Thanks in advance for any pointers and observations you have.

Mike J.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Re: Trail Intel

Post by jrwiesz »

Rainbow cove is a good spot for gathering raspberries(mid-Aug to early Sept), and to catch a sunset.

Feldtmann lake is usually good for pike.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

If you're considering a night at Island Mine campground, it can be fine or great if you really like that deep woods feeling. Typically, later in the season water can sometimes become more scarce there but things have been quite wet thus far this season. Personally I love camping at the Lake Superior campgrounds and Siskiwit Bay is "only" 4.5 miles further down the trail (almost all downhill).

Also, make sure you make reservations on the Voyageur II. Out of Windigo, north to Rock Harbor, is probably the safest place to "catch" it (as most likely more people will be getting off than wanting to get on) but there's no guarantee in that.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

- Island Mine Trail: you're doing it the right way..it's all down hill! Stop by the Island Mine and poke around for a little peek in time. Recommend a stay in Siskiwit Bay, providing it's not busy with the boat dock there, because the sunsets are beautiful, and being close to the lake should help keep the warm temps tolerable.

- Feldtmann Ridge: Since you're going clockwise, the first few miles up to the ridge will be boring (and probably very overgrown). On the ridge is fun, and as you near Lake Feldtmann and the campground, you'll get some great views. If you stay at Lake Feldtmann (also one of my favorites), be sure to go and watch the sunset at Rainbow Cove (.5 miles away)
mjamo001
NewbieCake

Post by mjamo001 »

Thanks for the input everyone! Midwest Ed, we do have our reservations squared away for the Voyageur, so we are solid on the return trip. Love this IR forum.