1st trip itinerary and advice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

RachelleWynkoop
NewbieCake

1st trip itinerary and advice

Post by RachelleWynkoop »

One week away from a first trip to Isle Royale. Would appreciate feedback from experienced and recent island trekkers. 6 ladies of varied experiences out to unplug and enjoy the trail.

1. Our tentative itinerary. Feel free to offer advice, feedback on planned route and trail updates (including where we can find berries and see wildlife!).
Day 1 - water taxi to Chippewa Harbor. Hike to Moskey Basin and camp.
Day 2 - Moskey Basing to McCargo Cove. Camp
Day 3 - McCargo Cove to Daisy Farm. Camp
Day 4 - Daisy Farm to Lane Cove. Camp
Day 5 - Lane Cove to Rock Harbor. Camp (shower, beer, pizza, LOL) Do we need to worry that we won't get a campsite on a Fri night in Rock Harbor?

2. Good at following trail maps. Limited experience experience/expertise with compass. How well marked are these trails? We have the Nat Geo map and it seems detailed enough but are there are more details trail maps we should have?

3. Nervous about campsites. Our itinerary doesn't leave room for "moving on to the next camp" if they are full. How real a possibility is this first week of August?
4. What one "splurge" weight item would you carry.

Thanks!
RachelleWynkoop
NewbieCake

Re: 1st trip itinerary and advice

How the heck did I get the name "NewbieCake"?
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

You reach different levels based on your number of posts.
Here are the thresholds:
Title: NewbieCake: 0-49
LNT Expert : 50-99
Trailblazer: 100-199
Bushwacker: 200-299
May actually live on IR: 300-499
IR Expert: 500+
RachelleWynkoop
NewbieCake

Thanks! About that itinerary....
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Yay for first trips! I'm predicting it won't be your last. I'll answer your questions in the order presented. (Welcome to the forum, btw!)

Day 1 - Oh, sure, take the easy route. :) I wouldn't hesitate, if the weather is poor, to just stay at Chippewa. It's right up there with Moskey in awesomeness.
Day 2 - A great hike; it gives a good perspective of the overall terrain of the Island with the ups and downs and how the ridges follow one direction.
Day 3 - Your longest day. If it's sunny, the ridge will be warm, so bring water. I'd opt to go the extra distance to the tower and come down that way (Mt Ojibway Trail), else you'll miss the view at the tower. (Besides, the Daisy Farm trail was way muddier and wetter a couple weeks ago...)
Day 4 - Nothing to say, really, other than the map is deceiving on how this feels on the legs... It seems like it should just go along the lake, but there is plenty of little ups and downs.
Day 5 - Be sure to cut over to the Tobin Harbor trail when you get to Suzy's Cave. Much easier on the legs, and faster. (Just follow around the cave, and you'll meet up to another trail.)

2. I don't think you'll need a compass (but pack some form of navigation aid, of course, just in case.) The trails will have markers at intersections, and in some rocky instances, cairns (small piles of rocks). Otherwise, just follow the path in front of you... Most of it is quite easy to follow, for the trails you will be on. It will be a narrow, well tread footpath. You will find campsite maps when you approach a designated camp.

3. Anything is possible, but campers are expected to double up if you get to a camp and it's full. (Likewise, be prepared to share a camp, if necessary. Make new friends.) Most other hikers itineraries don't leave room for moving on to the next camp, either, based on their own abilities; we all are out there and understand that. I've found campsite 'busyness' to be mostly random, although there is a little bit of a 'pulse' on the East side of the island that you can time between Ranger III visits. However, even boat reservations can be random.

4. I typically carry my GPS as a splurge, since I jump off trail now and then. On this most recent trip, I wished I would have packed my hammock; we found ourselves with a couple great days that could have made use of one.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Welcome to the Forum!

Your itinerary looks reasonable, but be open to adjusting it based on how members of your group are doing. The worst thing you can do is turn it into a grueling march just to make your itinerary. It has been rare where I have done exactly my planned itinerary, it usually changes. The nice thing is there are a lot of options for campgrounds and you really cannot go wrong (except for East Chickenbone :lol: )

The trails are very well worn and easy to follow. The only trail where it is easy to lose your way on in the Minong Ridge trail.

The two campgrounds I would be concerned with is Chippewa & Moskey. Especially since you have 6 people. Lane Cove is small and may be of concern, but usually isn't. The main thing is to get there early as it is first come. However, the people that are on the island are not your typical "campers" and it has always been my experience that people make room for others when the campground is full.

I'm not sure I would even consider it a "splurge" item as I feel they are necessary, I carry a spare set of "comfy" shoes. Nothing better after a long hike than taking off my boots and putting on my comfy shoes.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
RachelleWynkoop
NewbieCake

Tom wrote:Yay for first trips! I'm predicting it won't be your last. I'll answer your questions in the order presented. (Welcome to the forum, btw!)

Day 1 - Oh, sure, take the easy route. :) I wouldn't hesitate, if the weather is poor, to just stay at Chippewa. It's right up there with Moskey in awesomeness.

Ha! I hate backtracking. This was the easiest way to semi-loop I could coordinate. Thank you for the input. We could hit the tower on our Daisy Farm to Lane Cove, yes?
RachelleWynkoop
NewbieCake

Thank you for the welcome Mike! And the advice. Yes, I don't think the extra pair of shoes are a "splurge" either, but very few clothes to make up for it.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

RachelleWynkoop wrote: We could hit the tower on our Daisy Farm to Lane Cove, yes?
Doh. Totally my fault. I was thinking Threemile for some reason. Maybe because I was just talking to someone on the Island about it. Totally disregard my Day 4 & 5, replace with:
Day 4: A great day, the hike up the Greenstone is easy at this part. The hike down, well, you'll see...
Day 5: You'll know what you're in for, but once you reach the top of Mt. Franklin, it's all down hill.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

My luxury item is the Alite Monarch chair. Just over a pound. Yes, you balance on 2 feet, but I don't find that to be an issue--very comfy and keeps the backside off the ground. Great for reading a book by the lake :).
810773f2-e8d6-4771-8f51-144c43feb4a1.jpg
https://www.rei.com/product/846402/alit ... rfly-chair
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
RachelleWynkoop
NewbieCake

Yes, most of us have a camp chair too. Mine is slightly heavier, but don't have to balance on 2 feet. I guess I'm finding out I already treat myself with luxury! How many of you bring books or ereaders? Worried I won't bring enough!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I'll second the Alite chair (any chair really) and I always take my kindle. I've got one of the older ones and it will last all week on a full charge. You've got a great itinerary and will see a lot of what the island has to offer.

Welcome to the forum!
TerryDunn
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by TerryDunn »

Hey if I have to be a Newbie Cake then you just need to deal with it.... :) Have fun on your first rip, I will be there on Aug 5th - 8th on my first trip as well. So looking forward to it
carrie.oestreich-nolin
NewbieCake

Post by carrie.oestreich-nolin »

My husband and I are taking "our" first trip to ISRO Aug 3-6. He's been once before, 30 years ago, but it's my true first time. I love hearing about others' first trips and hope you post about your experience, Rachelle! We're planning the Feldtman loop counterclockwise from Windigo. Good luck and happy trails to you and your girlfriends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RachelleWynkoop
NewbieCake

Thank you! I will post about the trip when we return to the land of tech access.