LABOR DAY WEEK

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

PJFLYER
NewbieCake

LABOR DAY WEEK

Post by PJFLYER »

First Timers Planning a trip the week of Labor day (Sept 5th - ?) 2 hikers, some experience, relatively fit Age 48 & 54.
Considering Feldtman CCW and Huninin Cove 6days. Possibly Float Plane, any suggestions?
Also does the Windigo store have iso fuel this time of year?
Can I preorder and have waiting for my arrival?
Store hours and schedule?
and What is the activity / volume of travelers this week?

Thank You in advance.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: LABOR DAY WEEK

Post by MikeT »

Welcome to the forums!

As you read the posts here you will find a whole lot on the Feldtmann Loop. One of the most popular for first time hikes.

The store should have fuel but you can check ahead of time, I have never tried preordering, but I do think there was a thread on here about it recently. Try doing a search.
I am not positive about the store hours as I have only been there twice when the stores were open, but believe their hours are the same as the ranger station. That time of year would be 8am to 4:30pm.

Labor day weekend and July 4th weekend are the two busiest weekends on the island. However, that is a relative thing. It is nothing like those weekends on the mainland.

I am sure others will be filling in the details for you in future posts.

Have a great trip!
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

I stayed at the Washington Harbor campground after Labor Day for a few days back in 2014. The camp store was open with regular hours. As for crowds, they drop-off big time after Labor Day. We had our pick of shelters, probably 90% of them were vacant during the time we were there.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I don’t know for sure about Windigo but I have been in Rock Harbor after Labor Day. I would assume the Windigo store operates on the same schedule which means they would be open for the week of Labor Day with things really closing down by the weekend after Labor Day. But all that week things are winding down and stuff is getting ready for season closing. By your 6th day they could very well be closed. You can count on the stores running out of certain items that last week. Will they have what you need, especially your fuel? The only way to know for sure is to call them and ask. All my comments are based on past observations so talking to the concessions people is your wisest action. September and later is a great time to be on the Island.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

My last trip to the Island was the week of Labor Day, doing part of the Feldtmann loop and coming out at Malone Bay. Crowds were thin and the store was open, but not very well stocked. I was told they start letting the inventory thin out beginning in August. No Ice Cream!!! :}

I've been on the Ranger's first run in May and also the week of Labor Day. Both times the campgrounds were very sparsely populated. I think I liked the week of Labor Day best. Enjoy your trip.