Itinerary/Campsite advice (Little Todd vs Malone Bay)

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Stoker
NewbieCake

Itinerary/Campsite advice (Little Todd vs Malone Bay)

Post by Stoker »

Hi,

I'm planning an 8 night solo trip at the end of this month. I'm finalizing my itinerary and have a question about which campsites people here recommend/prefer. There's been a lot of great advice on here, so I hope I'm not duplicating questions. I'm taking the boat in and out of Rock Harbor and would rather not deal with water taxis/other boat costs, so I'm a little limited on routes, and dealing with the problem that it seems hard to go wrong!

I'm debating between staying at Malone Bay or Little Todd. Any other itinerary/campground advice is also appreciated. I've been trying to do mostly lakeside camps based on what friends have suggested and what people here seem to prefer. I'd really like to include both Chippewa and Moskey.

Malone Bay Inclusion option
Day 1: arrive in Rock Harbor on Ranger III hike to Lane Cove (6.9 miles)
Day 2: McCargoe Cove (13 miles)
Day 3: Todd Harbor (6.6 miles)
Day 4: Malone Bay (14.9 miles)
Day 5: Hatchet Lake (11.4 miles)
Day 6: Chippewa (15.4 miles)
Day 7: Moskey Basin (6.2 miles)
Day 8: Rock Harbor (11.4 miles)
Day 9: depart Rock Harbor on Ranger III

Little Todd inclusion option(s)
Day 1: arrive in Rock Harbor on Ranger III hike to Lane Cove (6.9 miles)
Day 2: McCargoe Cove (13 miles)
Day 3: Todd Harbor (6.6 miles)
Day 4: Little Todd (6.7 miles)
Day 5: Hatchet Lake (7.8 miles) [alternative - backtrack to McCargoe for another night, 13.3 miles]
Day 6: Chippewa (15.4 miles) [if camped at McCargoe this mileage is shortened to 10.6]
Day 7: Moskey Basin (6.2 miles)
Day 8: Rock Harbor (11.4 miles)
Day 9: depart Rock Harbor on Ranger III

To give a bit of background, I'm coming off a two week trip in the Sierras on partly unmaintained trails, so I'm not as concerned about the climbing, but am wondering if 15 miles is still ambitious in a day. I don't want to underestimate my Midwestern home.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Re: Itinerary/Campsite advice (Little Todd vs Malone Bay)

Post by MikeT »

Welcome to the forums!
I'd say those are some ambitious miles, but you can always change from your planned route. I have rarely stuck exactly to my planned itinerary.

As far as Little Todd versus Malone Bay, I would go for Little Todd for sure. But, that depends on what you are looking for. Malone has a magnificent view of the south shore, is a pretty campground and has more things to see, but more people. Little Todd is rustic, has more of a wilderness feel, nice view of the north shore and less people.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
Stoker
NewbieCake

Re: Itinerary/Campsite advice (Little Todd vs Malone Bay)

Post by Stoker »

Thanks!