Water Sources to utilize on our trek

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

DJS1618
NewbieCake

Water Sources to utilize on our trek

Post by DJS1618 »

Hi all,

I'm curious as to which lakes, streams, wells, etc. you suggest we might use on our journey. A while back I saw a post discussing water sources to avoid on IR, but can't seem to find it.

Here is our itinerary. Any input is greatly appreciated!

9/4: Hike about 8 miles to Lane Cove
9/5: Hike about 13 miles to McCargoe Cove
9/6: Hike to the Minong Mine and then to West Chickenbone Lake, about 4.5 miles altogether
9/7: Hike about 5.5 miles to Moskey Basin
9/8: Hike about 8.5 miles to Three Mile
9/9: Hike about 3.5 miles back to Rock Harbor
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Water Sources to utilize on our trek

Post by Ingo »

I don't know of any water sources to avoid. There have been algae blooms in the inland lakes in the past, but haven't heard of any this year. The rangers will warn you at the orientation if there is a problem and where. I would plan to carry enough when you leave camp--especially day 2, I think your first chance is Chickenbone when you're almost there.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

My answer is maybe broader than your question but I want to be complete for potential other readers.

The one water source to absolutely avoid, even after filtering, boiling and treating is from a lake (or any source) that is presently experiencing a temporary algae bloom. It produces some very nasty toxins that are not mitigated by any normal means. Very rarely one of the inland lakes will suffer this outbreak and the ranger greeting you on arrival will inform you of any such condition.

All other sources should be safe if they are treated properly but some of those safely treated sources will not taste as good as others. The main difference between the park's published method of treating and that followed by many people deals with harmful things that are smaller than almost every portable filter, namely viruses. Unless you are taking water from a puddle that likely was a bird bath or shared with a fox or squirrel (probably not a wolf these days but maybe); or taking water from a creek that is downstream from an outhouse then simple filtering is generally what is used by most. But just to be sure all bases are covered the park's published method is to either boil or filter and chemically treat. Simply boiling will kill anything living but not remove anything, not chemicals, not dirt, not dead organic material so you end up with safe, thin soup. Filtering and chemical treatment will give you safe better tasting water. Of course, pre-filtering helps with particulates for taste and final filter clogging. Still, neither method will keep you safe from chemicals or the toxins mentioned above but these are rare.

As far as normal water sources (Lake Superior, lakes and streams) when you're close to Lake Superior you'll always have a good source of water. Chickenbone Lake should be fine but a "dirty" water bucket might come in handy to collect better water from a deep spot.The streams and sometimes associated ponds you'll cross or come near will generally be as to travel perpendicular to the several ridges as you travel through the valleys between ridges. You won't find any water up on top of the Greenstone Ridge except for maybe a puddle if it's just rained hard. If you stick to your itinerary your only difficult day will be day 2 (both in distance and lack of water). Once you make the final climb out of Lane Cove don't expect any water source until you reach the eastern end of Chickenbone Lake and by then you are almost done. Bushwacking down from the ridge and then back up, just to replenish water is not something I would plan. On your 5th day the trail to Daisy Farm is not really close to Lake Superior as it generally follows a small ridge that is an ancient shoreline but you can refill easily at Daisy Farm. The remainder to Three Mile is much closer to the Big Lake.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DJS1618
NewbieCake

Post by DJS1618 »

Thank you both! I feel much more confident now.