Campsite/shelter question

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Emceekenzie
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Campsite/shelter question

Post by Emceekenzie »

First time poster. I have been coming to IR since I was a child, staying on one of the life lease islands each time. This will be my first time staying elsewhere, which makes me both nervous and excited! Mostly nervous because I will have my two sons (as well as my father) with me this time...
I will be bringing a small boat (17' Thompson) over on the Ranger. I plan on using it to tool around Tobin and Rock Harbors, to fish and explore. We are staying in the housekeeping cabins for 4 nights, and at a campground (likely Moskey or Daisy) for the other 4 nights. My question is this: When using the shelters, can you stay in one for more than one night, leaving your stuff there? I know you have to get permits, but can one reserve a particular shelter for a particular number of nights? I will have a large tent as well, that I can set up, and I assume I can leave that set up for multiple days on the tent sites. Forgive my ignorance, I know the east side of the island well, but only as a day hiker/boater/fisherman. I know little about the shelter/campsite etiquette.

I am very excited to share the island with my sons. It was a formative memory of mine as a child, and I can't wait for them to experience it!

Thanks in advance!
3MTA3
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Campsite/shelter question

Post by 3MTA3 »

You can stay as long as the maximum nights allowed.

Moskey & Daisy have a 3 night maximum consecutive night stay. See page 6 of the Greenstone for maximum nights allowed at each shelter/campsite:
https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... nstone.pdf

I've stayed at different sites, left my stuff in the shelters, put the tag the park service gives you on the door, & went on day trips to other spots. I've never encountered a problem.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

one other point: You cannot reserve a shelter. It is first-come,....
Emceekenzie
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Emceekenzie »

Thank you for the responses. Both valuable. :D
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Oftentimes, the earlier you get to a campsite, a site might be available for your use.