Itinerary feedback June 2017

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Twin_57103
NewbieCake

Itinerary feedback June 2017

Post by Twin_57103 »

Hi,

A group of four (ages 36-65) is going to visit the island June 3-8. One of our group will be joining us June 5 because of a schedule conflict. We are coming from Grand Portage and tentatively planning to hike from McCargoe Cove out to Rock Harbor. All have backpacked a little but want to keep pace fairly mild. The fourth person joining us 2 days later is necessary...haven't talked to rangers yet, hoping it won't be too complicated

Saturday: three of us disembark at McCargoe Cove, hike to Chickenbone W (2.7 mi)
Sunday: day hike to Mount Siskiwit, about 8 miles round trip. Camp again at Chickenbone W.
Monday: pack camp and move to Chickenbone E (1.8). Meet remaining party member at McCargoe (2.1), return to Chickenbone E (2.1).
Tuesday: move to Daisy Farm (6.1)
Wednesday: move to Rock Harbor (7.1)

Thoughts? Anything we should be sure to see? Thanks#
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Itinerary feedback June 2017

Post by Base654 »

Sounds like a nice relaxed trip. I like McCargoe cove, check it out before moving on to Chickenbone. There is also a cool mine to see near McCargoe. Most people will say that E CB is not as nice as W CB and is worth the extra mileage to get to/from the latter, especially if your first day would be McCargoe. You would still spend only two days at W CB. Any way you do it, you wont be disappointed, you planned a good trip.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I second the idea of staying at McCargoe the first night and hiking up to the mine in the afternoon--it's a couple miles from the CG. There's a cool horizontal shaft there. Also, there's nothing particularly distinctive about Mount Siskiwit itself--once you make the climb up the ridge a couple miles out of W Chickenbone you'll have the views and can decide how far you want (or don't) to go on.

There won't be any issue with the last person joining you--they will just register with their own itinerary when they come out. However, I don't think they can be covered under someone else's annual pass and will need to pay their own entrance fee (as I understand the new fee rules effective this year).

Welcome to the forums and have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

Whatever route you take will be great. If you are open to suggestions, skip the chicken bones. Stay at mccargo, then Go to Todd Harbor, then back to McCargo to meet your friend. From there, maybe consider Chippewa or Moskey. All of these are normally ranked ahead of either chicken bone. Enjoy