Itinerary for IR Newbie-June 2017

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Nick5511
NewbieCake

Itinerary for IR Newbie-June 2017

Post by Nick5511 »

Hi everyone,

First off I want to give a shout-out to you all for the extremely helpful information packed into these forums. Second, I am wondering what you think of my itinerary for a first time backpacker in my mid-20s. My biggest concerns would be water supply when on the elevated ridge, but I am planning on having a 6L supply of water at all times to compensate.

Ranger III to Rock Harbor
Day 1: Rock Harbor to Three Mile (2.7m)
Day 2: Three Mile to Moskey Basin (8.3m)
Day 3: Moskey Basin to West Chickenbone (6.2m)
Day 4: West Chickenbone to Hatchet Lake (7.9m)
Day 5: Hatchet Lake to Desor South (8.1m)
Day 6: Desor South to Island Mine (5.5m)
Day 7: Island Mine to Windigo (5m)

Any insight/opinions would be appreciated!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Itinerary for IR Newbie-June 2017

Post by Midwest Ed »

Welcome Nick. 1.6 gallons? That's a lot of water, over 13 pounds. What's your total pack weight with 7 to 8 days of food, fuel and 6L of water? June will not be nearly as warm as mid to late summer but starting a day with 6 liters is way more than I've ever heard anyone ration for. If I started out with 6 liters each morning, the first thing I'd do is drink 3 before I started walking. I never carried more than 2.5 liters but you know your needs better than anyone. Your itinerary is quite typical for Rock Harbor to Windigo and the path is well trodden and well marked.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Midwest Ed is correct about the water. I drink a lot of water before heading out in the a.m. and only carry 2 liters and drink as needed on the trail. There's plenty of water at your camping sites (maybe not plenty at Island Mine) and a good filter will keep you in good shape with water. I've never run out of water on the trail.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

It's a fairly common end-to-end route as Ed said. Typical advice is to take the Tobin Harbor trail to Three Mile the first day--it's less rocky than the Rock Harbor trail and easier on the legs. And remember the bugs usually come out in force mid to late June, so be prepared and bring a headnet. I'll be going the 1st week and will pre-treat my clothes, bring dope and a headnet--hopefully overkill that early, but you never know.

Like others, I'll carry 2 liters of water, with maybe an extra bottle if it's a long hot sunny day. But you are correct in that you should carry what you need on the ridge--whatever that is. Are you taking the Voyageur II from Windigo back to R.H? Or flying back on the seaplane?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Nick5511
NewbieCake

Post by Nick5511 »

Thanks for the replies and information, guys. I'll trim down my water supply to 3 or 4 liters then, since that seems sufficient.

Ingo, that's right, I'll be taking Voyager II back to Rock Harbor. Actually looking forward to that leg of the trip, since it appears quite scenic!