Greenstone--Hatchet to Chickenbone question

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Hoh River
NewbieCake

Greenstone--Hatchet to Chickenbone question

Post by Hoh River »

Buddy and I are first time Isle Royale visitors, but experienced backpackers. We're heading to the island on the first boat, 5/6 from Grand Portage.

In planning our route, we're considering bypassing the Greenstone section from Hatchet to Chickenbone in favor of heading to Todd Harbor before catching back up to the Greenstone via McCargoe to Chickenbone. Distance aside, is this a good idea (knowing that we want to see Todd) or a bad idea (meaning that section of the Greenstone shouldn't be missed).

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Greenstone--Hatchet to Chickenbone question

Post by Midwest Ed »

Where are you heading after Chickenbone? It sounds like eventually Rock Harbor. I'm a bit biased because Todd Harbor is my favorite campground. While there are some nice panoramic views from the Greenstone Ridge around Mt. Siskiwit, there are plenty more in the Mt. Ojibway and Mt. Franklin areas. If you have the time and the idea of zig-zaging appeals to you I would do the Todd Harbor detour, then head to Lake Ritchie and Moskey Basin. From there take the longer Greenstone path to Three Mile or Lane Cove after reaching Daisy Farm.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

The Minong overall has better scenery than the Greenstone, although once you get past SLD you start getting some nice panoramic views of Lake Siskiwit. The Greenstone is cut through a Maple forest from Windigo past the Ishpeming Point fire tower. The Minong follows a more exposed ridgeline.

Todd Harbor is a really nice campground and the Hatchett Lake crossover takes you right to the campground, although the distance from Hatchett Lake to TH is not really a full days worth of hiking, so plan on hiking the extra distance.

You shouldn't miss to much by taking the crossover and then taking the trail from McCargo back to the Greenstone.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

The Todd Harbor route is the nicer of the two in my opinion. McCargoe cove is my second favorite campsite (when it's not full) and the mine is worth stopping at if you have time.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

Hoh River: That's a tough choice. Hatchet to Chickenbone probably has the most scenic vistas along the Greenstone. The trail across from the Greenstone to the Minong is nothing special, but Todd Harbor is great. If this is going to be a one time trip to the island, I guess I would cut across to Todd. If there is a chance of coming back, I would do the Greenstone through and save Todd for a Minong Ridge trip.

(Hoh River: Like your name. The Hoh area, rainforest, mountains and the Pacific remains one of the most beautiful areas I have ever hiked in and hope to go back to someday)
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"