Newbie - 3 nights on IR - What would you do?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

gusfamily
NewbieCake

Newbie - 3 nights on IR - What would you do?

Post by gusfamily »

Three of us are headed to IR for 3 days and 3 nights. July 1-4, 2017. We have never been and I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out what we should do, where to stay. When time is limited it is always more daunting picking and choosing.

We are all very physically fit and can handle anything. That said, we aren't trying to break any records and we are happy with a leisurely pace. But if there is a hike we should definitely do that is more strenuous, we are in!

We plan to fly in (since the short time span, we don't want to spend hours on the ferry). We want to hike, fish and canoe. We are happy to move campsites, but not more than 1 time.

I'm a bit worried that we are there over a big holiday weekend, that we will have issues grabbing campsites. Is that unfounded?

I'm open to any suggestions! If you only had a short time, what would you not want to miss?

Thanks so much!
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Newbie - 3 nights on IR - What would you do?

Post by Tortuga »

Given your conditions, it sounds like maybe you won't be moving much farther than Rock Harbor. You can rent a canoe, fish in Lake Superior (with a Michigan fishing license), and do some day hikes. I have a hunch you're right about things getting busy that weekend, but the others can speak more to that.

That said, Rock Harbor only allows 1 night's consecutive stay. There are limits at all other campgrounds as well, so you may want to find one you won't have to move from for 3 nights. Moskey Basin was a personal favorite of mine and it allows 3 consecutive nights. Daisy Farm is closer to Rock Harbor and has lots of shelters.

No matter what, check out the park newspaper, the Greenstone. It really gives you all the info you need about the campsites and what to do on the island. Have a good trip!

https://www.nps.gov/isro/upload/ISRO_We ... r_2017.pdf
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Consider flying into Windigo and doing the Huginnin Cove loop. That's 1 night. Spend the other two at Washington Creek (aka Windigo), day hike to the Grace overlook, rent a canoe, fish, etc.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Day 1: Early flight into Rock Harbor. Hike Tobin Harbor trail to Mt Frankly n trail up to the Greenstone. Stop by Mt Franklin for a break. Hike to Ojibway Fire Tower and down to Daisy Farm. Can fish at Daisy in the evening if you like or just relax.

Day 2: get up early, hike up to Greenstone (day packs with water filter and lunch and snacks and fishing stuff) and over to west Chickenbone lake. Fish at west Chickenbone lake for a break and have a snack. Hike to Lake Ritchie and fish/have a late Lunch. Fish more. Hike past Moskey and spend a couple min checking it out then head back to Daisy for dinner and rest.

Day 3: get up early and hike the rock Harbor trail back to rock Harbor. Rent a canoe from the lodge and paddle Tobin Harbor. If you have time go up to lookout Louise. Catch last flight out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gusfamily
NewbieCake

Post by gusfamily »

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much!