Hammock friendly campsites

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

JackieK
NewbieCake

Re: Hammock friendly campsites

Post by JackieK » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:21 am

Thanks for the information. I have a light 2 person tent I have shared with my grandaughter but my 6 ft. teenage grandson may not be comfortable sharing such close quarters with his granny. His choice may be that or sleeping out on the ground though.

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Ingo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:48 am

re Feldtmann Lake, I would not hang a hammock across any path from the campsite to the lake--the moose use them--a lot from what I saw.

huntertim214
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by huntertim214 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:33 pm

bobcat wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 12:37 pm
Watch out for hammocks on birch trees - birch trees, especially when old, are very brittle and a hammock has been enough to cause them to snap off - I think I recall a person was badly injured by a falling tree at one of the backcountry campgrounds within the last couple years. Hatchet Lake is pretty much all birch trees......
This is true, we just talked about it last week with someone that lives on the island. It was a group of young girls I believe and they were hanging a hammock and one of the birch trees fell on them and at least one had to be airlifted off the island with a potential broken back. Crazy story... that might be what drove some if the newer regulations.

paulbates
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Hammock friendly campsites

Post by paulbates » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 pm

JackieK wrote:Thanks for the information. I have a light 2 person tent I have shared with my grandaughter but my 6 ft. teenage grandson may not be comfortable sharing such close quarters with his granny. His choice may be that or sleeping out on the ground though.
I just got a kelty tent that will just do for me at 6'5" and my daughter near 6'. I'm hoping for some nights in the hammock, but be ready when I can't legitimately use it.

The thing is having a dry place for your grandson to go if it gets bad at night, worst case scenario.

ruthwj
NewbieCake

Post by ruthwj » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Just returned from my trip to the island an can provide a bit more detail on hammock hangable sites along the Greenstone. Unfortunately due to weather my first two campsites were spent in shelters (Rock Harbor and Daisy Farm). Both appeared to have hangable sites if you can get them. They are busy campgrounds. I also stayed at:

West Chickenbone Lake - used the first site #6 which had at least two perfect hangs with views of the lake.
South Dessor - I would say not hangable at all. The entire campground is birch trees. I was able to find two closely spaced aspen in one of the group sites, but someone wanting to hang should not plan on it here.
Washington Creek - There are several sites here that are hangable. One should just know that this campground is used heavily by moose so be prepared that you could wake up to a visitor or two.

I had also planned on staying at Hatchet Lake and Island Mine, but was more ambitious than I'd expected and bypassed both so I can't report on hanging in either of those.

hooky
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:25 pm

South Desor site #2 is hangable. :)

paulbates
NewbieCake

Post by paulbates » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Hi, I've poked around here as well as youtube videos gathering suggestions for hammock friendly campsites for where we're going. I've found pointers to site numbers at our destination campgrounds, except:
- Little Todd
- Hugginin

Any good known hammock friendly site # suggestions for these 2 campgrounds, that someone that's been could suggest? Thanks!

Paul

paulbates
NewbieCake

Post by paulbates » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:13 pm

paulbates wrote:Hi, I've poked around here as well as youtube videos gathering suggestions for hammock friendly campsites for where we're going. I've found pointers to site numbers at our destination campgrounds, except:
- Little Todd
- Hugginin

Any good known hammock friendly site # suggestions for these 2 campgrounds, that someone that's been could suggest? Thanks!

Paul

Here's what we found:

Little Todd: Site #3 is very generous and 2 can easily hang there and set up a decent size tent.. includes its own very nice site fire ring setup with log seating.

Hugginin Cove: Site #2 - we didn't hang here because of the weather when we arrived. While it's a little cozy, it can accommodate 2 hanging and set up a 2 - 3 person tent. It includes a smaller site community seating area... fires not allowed, but you can hang out - cook, eat, filter etc there

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk