Lane Cove

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Lane Cove

Post by Tortuga »

Quick question. Lane isn't on my itinerary this trip, but last year the boardwalk leading down to the cove after coming down the Greenstone was submerged at one end. I was able to get out without a problem, but folks who stayed the day I left found the boardwalk completely submerged at both ends, and a few people I met walked on top of a beaver dam in the area to get out. Does anyone know its status?
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Lane Cove

Post by torpified »

This isn't first person or up-to-the-minute, but I heard from others taking the IRQIV back May 12 that it was submerged. Some people used it and got their feet wet; others used the beaver dam to cross.
The_Guy
NewbieCake

Post by The_Guy »

I heard rumors of this while staying at McCargoe last year. Any idea how much water is covering the boards? I was just looking at this years trip and trying to find a way to squeeze Lane in. It was my first ever overnight on the island and I'd like to go back.
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

The_Guy wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 2:22 pm I heard rumors of this while staying at McCargoe last year. Any idea how much water is covering the boards? I was just looking at this years trip and trying to find a way to squeeze Lane in. It was my first ever overnight on the island and I'd like to go back.
It was my first overnight too and was a great camp. I was there Memorial Day last year and the first and last boardwalks were submerged about 2-4 inches. The water level was pretty much up to the boardwalk elsewhere. It's clear the beaver dam is causing the flooding. I would hesitate to go back unless the trail gets re-routed or the boardwalks get raised.