THE ISLANDS!!

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

MeltingMamas
NewbieCake

THE ISLANDS!!

Post by MeltingMamas »

I am going to the isle end of the month... one thing we really want to do is paddle over to the othet islands. We will have a backcountry permit. Can we sleep on any of them?& do they check? Do the islands get crowded? Thanks!
Also , i always love to ask... what is your favorite trail/camping food
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: THE ISLANDS!!

Post by Base654 »

The short answer is: you can only camp on the islands with campgrounds. please refer to the discussion
viewtopic.php?t=1057#p6360 for more information. As for the "Do they check?" part, it is our responsibility to only camp where allowed. The park service has made many of the islands off limits for reasons, many times to protect the flora and fauna, we need to respect their decision.
MeltingMamas
NewbieCake

Post by MeltingMamas »

Thanks for the link!! We are not planning to try and sneaknon an island!! Haha i am just curius if its a tightly patroled place, or a just be a good person becasue its right - kind of place
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

The rangers are all great people. I have met many of them over my years on the Island. unfortunately The Rangers are short staffed and can't patrol as much as I am sure they would like. The Island is generally a self regulated place with rangers willing and able to help.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I fully agree that the rangers (and NPS support personnel) are friendly and great people. ISRO is self regulating. Many of the campers and boaters on ISRO have been there before and have taken a level of ownership. What that means in effect is that if visitors do get out of line, then other campers (or boaters) will report the activity.
MeltingMamas
NewbieCake

Post by MeltingMamas »

I love it! A self protecting community! We are allowed to explore out there correct? Just not camp?
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Until mid July all small islands are off limits (stay at least 150 feet away) because of the possibility you might disturb nesting loons so this would apply to the timing of your visit. The same could be generally true for any grassy shoreline or whenever you see loons or nesting loons nearby. Loon nesting areas that are known, especially ones near trails or campgrounds are usually posted as closed by Rangers in Rock Harbor and Windigo visitor centers. But of course not all nesting areas are known so be observant. Other areas to avoid that you might see when paddling would be shoreline cabins that are summer residences for families that lived there before the Island became a national park. Consider these places private. If you wave and say hello you might be invited over but do not expect it. Treat them with the same respect you would with any private residence back home.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

MeltingMamas wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:31 pm........We are allowed to explore out there correct?.....
I did. Just spent several days on IR the previous week. Padded extensively in Tobin Harbor and in Duncan Bay. I explored several islands along the way. Porter Island is very scenic, basically a high, rock knob that is largely open, with great views all around. As for loons, the only loons I saw were within a 1/4 mile of the Tobin Harbor dock. I gave them wide berth as I came onto shore.