Rock Harbor Trail

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Jean2862
NewbieCake

Rock Harbor Trail

Post by Jean2862 »

I've read a lot of posts here of people recommending the Tobin Harbor Trail instead of Rock Harbor. I'm just curious what makes Rock Harbor unattractive to so many? What's a good way to get to Daisy Farm then from RH? Up and over the Greenstone ridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Rock Harbor Trail

Post by Ingo »

The trail along Rock Harbor is rockier and harder footing, making it slower and harder on the legs and feet. But in my opinion it's also more scenic. Most folks will cut over to 3 Mile from the TH trail and on to Daisy Farm. But you could go up to Mt Franklin and down from Mt Ojibway if you're ok with the extra mileage--both have great views.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I don't think it's a case of the Rock Harbor trail being unattractive. As Ingo described, the footing is just somewhat more difficult. Therefore, it makes the going just a little bit slower and this factor is important to many as they sometimes seem to be in a race to get to and from Rock Harbor. Fresh off the boat, some want to get to that first destination in a hurry. Or the tired legs, trying to complete the last 3 miles after several days, are simply looking for some minimal relief. There are plenty of sections of other trails that are just as or more difficult than this section of the Rock Harbor trail. The difference is these other sections don't have an option #2 running parallel.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I'm one of the people pointing out the Tobin Harbor option, and I think the Rock Harbor trail is superfun. It's just that it's enough more rugged than the Tobin Harbor trail that if you're starting out with a full pack, and anxiety about covering miles on your first day, it's worth considering taking Tobin Harbor (also super fun) instead. If you're returning to Rock Harbor, you can always take the Rock Harbor trail back, when your pack is light and your trail legs are well established!
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I agree that The Rock Harbor trail is rockier and harder , but I still prefer it. I like to watch the boats come and go and I like talking to/seeing the groups going the opposite way. My schedules always seem to put me in place to get a few good shots of the Ranger coming in to dock.