July Backpacking Trip

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

July Backpacking Trip

Post by kolo »

I have been to Isle Royale eight times, all in June. I already did a canoe trip there this summer, in June. I need another fix and I am considering a backpacking trip in July.

My question is: How much more busy is the isle in July compared to June? I am spoiled and like getting nice camping spots without much competition! I know the isle is busier in July and August, compared to June. I have read the stories about people getting off the boat at Rock Harbor and racing to get camping spots at Daisy Farm. If I backpack from McCargoe Cove to Washington Creek, will I have to depend on the kindness of others at every stop along the way?

My tentative itinerary is McCargoe Cove>Todd Harbor>Little Todd>Hatchet Lake>South Desor>Island Mine>Washington Creek. I will be traveling solo and coming from Grand Portage. Thank you in advance for your input!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: July Backpacking Trip

Post by JerryB »

It has been a while since I was there in July, but I think you will be ok. You have a coupe of things going for you:
--Flexibility on first site: either stay at McCargo if you get a good shelter (and leave early in the morning for Todd to up the odds of a good site there) or head out to Todd right away.
--Little Todd is off the beaten path somewhat
--I think Hatchet is often bypassed because it is so close to Todd H, so that should help.
--I.M. is pretty big and all the sites are in the woods. Also, you can always skip it if full (or low water)

I did a similar trip a while back but instead of Desor, etc., I went to Chippewa and Moskey and caught the Voyageur.

Enjoy!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

FWIW, most of my trips have been in July and only once have I shared a campsite (at Huginnin). Have seen full campgrounds, but never that bad.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

JerryB and Ingo, thank you very much for your insight! It is exactly what I was looking for.