minong ridge with kids?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

1932chevy
NewbieCake

minong ridge with kids?

Post by 1932chevy »

Afternoon,
I have a total of 12 days to spend on the island with my kids. My initial itinerary included the Minong Ridge? Upon relentless research, I have read that the Minong Ridge is "Michigan's Toughest Trail". We do a lot of hiking on the Ice Age Trail in northern Wisconsin and last summer I did Pictured Rocks with the oldest? My children are 12, 14 and 16 and are all athletically adept. Is it feasible with children? I have concern in regards to the last leg since it is a 12 mile segment. This is the younger two's first longer hike. I do not want to turn them off from hiking with a completely miserable experience.

We were also considering hammocks to save on weight? Thoughts??

Thank you
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: minong ridge with kids?

Post by Donk_67 »

The Minong does have some challenges, but feasible for kids who have backpacked before assuming the 12 mile day isn't too many miles. Suitable hammock sites are a challenge to find, especially for multiple hammocks, so if it was me, I'd go with tents. Get an early start on your 12 mile day and know where the water sources are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I agree with Donk_67: The Minong is feasible. But I think you are right to be concerned with the last day. It is very long and involves several beaver dam crossings which could make the rest of the hike unpleasant. If you really want to do the Minong, you could consider back-country camping to split the last day in two. I was going to do that but the bugs convinced me otherwise.
Montana
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Montana »

I think the approach is to make the trip as fun as possible, with maximum flexibility. Later in the summer my daughter (16) and I will be on the Minong. It won't be a race! Here is a video of a father with his two sons (age 10 & 12) on the Minong a few summers ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR3wQQ7PBMc

Good luck!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Montana wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 amHere is a video of a father with his two sons (age 10 & 12) on the Minong a few summers ago:
The younger son seemed a bit discontented at the beginning but his smile appeared to grow wider each day.

Here is a detailed trip report from 2014 by tree rat, a regular contributor. It was group of 4 including his 5 year old daughter and her grandfather. Summary: He advised against taking small children on the Minong, with the exception of his daughter of course. :D His daughter seems to have a lot of "spunk", probably more than most 5 YOs I know. I've never done all of the Minong trail so maybe I should recuse myself but from all I do know you should not have any technical difficulties that can't be overcome with just a little patience and positive attitude. Only you know your kids of course and ages 10 & 12 should be more predictable than 5.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
1932chevy
NewbieCake

Post by 1932chevy »

Thank you for all of your individual responses! Loved the video Montana, might see you and your daughter later this summer! Thank you as well, Tree Rat, for the pictures. Well, I think we are going to plan on doing the Minong with a day of rest and food resupply at Windigo. Back up the Greenstone Ridge. Counting the days to departure!