Trail planning, early August

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Ladybug
NewbieCake

Trail planning, early August

Post by Ladybug »

Good morning! We are a family of 4 (2 adults/2 kids, ages 10 and 12), physically fit and with backpacking experience on Vermont's Long Trail. We are planning our first adventure to Isle Royale, and would like some feedback on the itinerary. We have 3 nights to enjoy this island. Here's what we've come up with:

Day 1: Arrive Rock Harbor. Take Tobin Harbor Trail/Rock Harbor Trail to Daisy Farm campsite. Miles = 7
Day 2: Mt Ojibway Trail/Grindstone Trail to West Chickenbone campsite. Miles=9
Day 3: Indian Portage Trail/past Lake Richie/past Moskey Basin/return to Daisy Farm campsite. Miles = 9
Day 4: Rock Harbor Trail to Rock Harbor, then exit.

We are a bit concerned about the reported volume of Daisy Farm, and potentially not having a campsite. Would anyone suggest alternate routes instead? Should we plan on carrying our tent, or can we save the weight and plan on shelters? Are the tent sites on platforms, or on flat ground? Any advise is most welcomed!
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Trail planning, early August

Post by JerryB »

Welcome. I will others with more East end experience guide you on an itinerary. But I will make one suggestion: if you plan on your last night at RH, you will have time for a day trip to scoville point on the Stoll Trail. If weather is good, the kids will love it. Also, always bring a tent' shelters can be full. Tent pads are on the ground. Enjoy
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Your itinerary is very doable.

The shelters on ISRO are 24 or so inches off of the ground and are on platforms. 3 sides are paneled; the 4th is screened. There is a spring loaded door for entry/exit. Please do not let the door slam shut. This includes the outhouses.

ISRO is unlike many other National Parks in that even in "heavy volume" periods, there are not a lot of people on the island. Traffic on ISRO can vary between midweek and weekends. Shelters tend to fill up first, but there is usually a pad available in one of the campsites and almost always there is something available in the group campsites. The practice on the island is to share a pad if there is one available -- just ask.

Your itinerary takes you past several nice campsites, so depending on weather you have choices to stop/ divert.

Daisy Farm is 7 miles from the Dock. Do you want to do 7 miles on your last day on the island???
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

I did a stint on the Long Trail Patrol when I was a whippersnapper! Some of the waterbars near Little Rock Pond are my handiwork. Whichever section of that trail you backpacked, I'm guessing you'll find yourselves well prepared for paths on Isle Royale.
Ladybug
NewbieCake

Post by Ladybug »

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the advise. Here's hoping for cool days and clear nights...
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

We're coming 8/5. The jetstream seem to be parked in our favor:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMI0431:1:US
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Arriving early at Daisy Farm should help you attain a shelter. I would suggest a tent as a back up, just in case. Never needed in my numerous stops at Daisy Farm. I did put one up inside a shelter during a bad storm to keep dry and warm however.