McCargo or W. Chickenbone

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

McCargo or W. Chickenbone

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Hey guys,

Our trip is coming up quick :lol: and I am looking for a suggestion on one of our days.

Our current plan is RH-3M-MB-WCB-DF (via greenstone to see mt ojibway)-RH

We are now thinking of doing: RH-3M-MB-MCcove-DF-RH

What do you think? Which is better Mccargo or W chickenbone?

thanks!
ARRC
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: McCargo or W. Chickenbone

Post by ARRC »

McCargo definitely! Chickenbone is not bad either, but it's not McCargo.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It all depends of personal preferences. Both West CB and MC are great campgrounds. Inland lake campgrounds such as WCB offer a certain solitude and serenity while the occasional slamming of a shelter screen door at Lake Superior campgrounds can interrupt that peace.

My personal preference always leans toward campgrounds on Lake Superior but since McCargoe cove is at the end of a very narrow 2 mile inlet it offers a mixture of both Big Lake and inland campgrounds. The cool breezes of the Big Lake helping with bugs, the crashing surf and such doesn't apply to MC but it does have 6 shelters and a dock which helps with swimming and collecting water. The water temperature will be a bit warmer than at say at Daisy Farm but then the leech population will be a factor but not as much as the inland lakes. The water will also taste a bit better at MC than at WCB but that's getting a bit picky.

If you are into history or archaeology, McCargoe Cove has the Minong copper mine ruins nearby which are interesting and MC has a community fire ring available (no fires are Chicken Bone.

You can always play it on the fly. When you get to WCB and if you're worn out or if it's empty and late you might end up with it all to yourself. Or if it's somewhat full and early, maybe press on. Changing your itinerary is fine. Just update it before you turn it in.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

it does have 6 shelters and a dock
This is part of the reason we like it. WCB does not have any shelters. We want to try and experience the shelters at least once.
If you are into history or archaeology, McCargoe Cove has the Minong copper mine ruins nearby which are interesting
This is a big bonus for my husband. He is huge into history.
Changing your itinerary is fine. Just update it before you turn it in
I figured it was ok to edit your plans as you go, didnt know I had to update it before turning in. Thanks!

You've been a big help Midwest Ed, thanks!
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Of all the campgrounds you listed, only Chickenbone does NOT have shelters. The shelters as well as tents sites are first come, first serve. If you arrive at a campground already full-up, politely asking to double up is the appropriate procedure. I think "spare" space at tent sites would get doubled up before I'd ask to share someone's shelter, although maybe that's just me. Although (especially if the weather is really bad), most primary shelter "owners" (for lack of a better term) would be gracious enough to share their space.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Under most circumstances, I'd typically answer "McCargoe Cove" right away. It's an awesome camp; and compared to Chickenbone West it offers better water access, a dock, a community fire pit (and area to meet other hikers), shelters, and then the hike to the mines. There is just more to "do."
However, looking at your itinerary, all of your other camps are along Rock Harbor. If it's your first trip to IR, there is something to be said about experiencing the near dead silence you can find on an inland lake. The good news is that you can't go wrong with either camp, and you can change your itinerary at a moment's notice. If the weather has been solid, and it's a great day, and you walk into Chickenbone to find a camp that looks appealing, then stay. If it's rainy, well, there is something to be said about the opportunity for a shelter.