Which Itinerary?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

chromedome
NewbieCake

Which Itinerary?

Post by chromedome »

We will be driving from lower Michigan to Copper Harbor then on to IR for 5 days of backpacking at the end of September.. We will be arriving at Rock Harbor on Sept. 25th, and leaving from Rock Harbor on the 29th, as that is the only option for transport that late in the season. I have two itineraries mapped out. This is our first trip to the island. for those that have spent time there which itinerary would you do? Or what would you do different? Thanks

itinerary 1
rock harbor to daisy farm 7.1 mi
daisy farm to chicken bone west 7.9 mi
chicken bone west to moskey basin 5.9 mi
moskey basin to lane cove 11.1 mi
lane cove to rock harbor 6.9 mi
total miles = 38.9

itinerary 2
rock harbor to lane cove 6.9 mi
lane cove to moskey basin 11.1 mi
moskey basin to Mccargoe cove 8.6 mi
Mccargoe cove to daisy farm 8.0 mi
daisy farm to rock harbor 7.1 mi
total miles = 41.7
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Re: Which Itinerary?

Post by Vandy »

Personally, I would do Itinerary 2 only because I have never been to Lane Cove and I'd want to get the climb out of the way early in the trip. ☺
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

My favorite short trip is:

Rock Harbor to Daisy Farm
Daisy Farm to McCargoe cove
McCargoe Cove to Moskey
Moskey to Rock Harbor

The couple miles from Chickenbone to McCargoe is fairly easy and you can decide to continue or not as you have to walk through CB anyway. I love McCargoe. Moskey to Rock Harbor is 12ish miles, but is mostly flat, I don't find it to be overly taxing with an early departure. My 46 y.o. body does it in about 5 hours with and early lunch at 3 mile. I like to have my last day to hike Stoll Trail without a pack, shower, see the sites, maybe even rent a canoe for tobin harbor, have a beer and pick up a couple souvenirs.

Lane Cove is nice, but it is not one of my favorites.

The only possible problem with #2 is the climb over the island the first night, then the big climb again tied to a long miles on day two.

Many people suggest taking the Tobin Harbor trail and crossing back at three mile to continue west. I like the water, so I take the more rugged trail.

Don't miss Moskey.

Have Fun.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

they both looks great! Itinerary 1 has you spending a night at an inland lake--those campsites have a different vibe from the ones along L Superior. And since the day from CWB to Moskey Basin is short, you could slip in a dayhike up to McCargoe (~ 5.5 m RT), to check it out (and maybe the mine, too) before moving house. I loved both Lane Cove and the trail between it and the Greenstone ridge -- but I'm a sucker for beaver-impacted habitats.