Solo Trip in Late September

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

golian99
NewbieCake

Solo Trip in Late September

Post by golian99 »

I am planning a trip to Isle Royale at the end of September. Due to the frequency of the ferries, my main plan is getting on the ferry at Grand Portage (to Windigo) on Sunday, Sept 24th, do an across island hike and get to Rock Harbor to take the ferry back to Grand Portage on Thursday September 28th. (That makes it a four days four nights trip)

I would like to ask what your thoughts are for the following proposals:

1. Mining Trail to Indian Portage to Lake Richie to Rock Harbor
2. Greenstone Ridge all the way
3. Minong to Greenstone Ridge

From reading some of the forums, it seams that everything is pretty amazing up there, but I would appreciate the feedback :)

I would like to get as much as I can out of this trip as I live pretty far (New Mexico); that said, I am in pretty good shape, early thirties and used to the mountains in the Southern Rockies (and the altitude changes).

Also, does anyone have any opinion on this lengthwise trip vs staying on the west side of the island?
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Solo Trip in Late September

Post by torpified »

The part of the GRT you'd miss by doing 1 or 3 isn't its most enticing, unless you're really into looking at forests from the inside (which sometimes people from the southwest are!). A slightly longer variation that would incorporate most of the highlights of 1 and 3: follow 1 to Daisy Farm, then head up to the Mt Ojibway fire tower and follow the GRT to the Mt. Franklin junction.
Badger75
NewbieCake

Post by Badger75 »

I think the Minong is more interesting but the last time I did it the trail was hard to follow because of the burn. The GRT is okay but you will have to carry more water. There is no water up there. Personally I think the W Chickenbone is one of the best sites on the island. Photo from that site was used by Backpacker Mag. Not sure if loons will still be there in September but they usually call during the night. Awesome. L Ritchie is good too but check the water quality. It was off limits due to algae bloom on my last visit. Made me glad I had extra water. If time permits I would press on to McCoskey or Chippewa Harbor. Both great spots.
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

We just did the Minong and the remnants of the burned out area can be seen, but no longer a navigation / slow down problem. Bring a lot of water for that 12 miles though..you won't find much and the quality of what you find isn't great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vgeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by vgeh »

paulbates wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 pm We just did the Minong and the remnants of the burned out area can be seen, but no longer a navigation / slow down problem. Bring a lot of water for that 12 miles though..you won't find much and the quality of what you find isn't great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul,
Is the 12 mile stretch you are referring to is North Desor - Windigo?
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

vgeh wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:16 pm Paul,
Is the 12 mile stretch you are referring to is North Desor - Windigo?
Hi
Yes, that is it. I wrote a trip report about our journey. You can learn what we found on that section of the Minong, as well as the rest

Paul
golian99
NewbieCake

Post by golian99 »

torpified wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:46 am The part of the GRT you'd miss by doing 1 or 3 isn't its most enticing, unless you're really into looking at forests from the inside (which sometimes people from the southwest are!). A slightly longer variation that would incorporate most of the highlights of 1 and 3: follow 1 to Daisy Farm, then head up to the Mt Ojibway fire tower and follow the GRT to the Mt. Franklin junction.

Badger75 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:35 pm I think the Minong is more interesting but the last time I did it the trail was hard to follow because of the burn. The GRT is okay but you will have to carry more water. There is no water up there. Personally I think the W Chickenbone is one of the best sites on the island. Photo from that site was used by Backpacker Mag. Not sure if loons will still be there in September but they usually call during the night. Awesome. L Ritchie is good too but check the water quality. It was off limits due to algae bloom on my last visit. Made me glad I had extra water. If time permits I would press on to McCoskey or Chippewa Harbor. Both great spots.
Thanks for the advice, torpified. It sounds like the Minong is the way to go. It also appears that I will be extending my trip to 5 days and that should help a bit with mileage and I will definitely check out the Ojibway and Mt. Frankling sights that you mention :)

So, now that I have a better idea of what I am doing I am planning on staying on the following campsites:

North Desor
Todd Harbor
West Chickenbone
Daisy Farm
Rock Harbor

Do you have any other favorites that I should definitely consider like East Chickenbone, Lake Richie or Moskey Basin? I could potentially work the mileage around.Badger75, I will check those ones that you mention out :)
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Looks awesome! There are other terrific options -- I personally love Lane Cove and the walk to and fro, which is an object lesson in evolving beaver impact -- but that's a reason to plan a followup trip!