Monarch Shipwreck

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Drewy70
NewbieCake

Monarch Shipwreck

Post by Drewy70 »

I was wondering if the Monarch Shipwreck area can be reached by foot? The trail on map seems to end at monument rock.
Thank you so much
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Monarch Shipwreck

Post by Midwest Ed »

I thought the wreckage was all submerged at a depth of 10 to 65 feet. Any remnants of a wood structure on that rocky shoreline would surely have disappeared many years ago. Getting to the shoreline would not reveal anything. It's theoretically possible to get there given the survivors all hiked out and made their way to Tobin Harbor. I think they were fairly motivated though. :shock: The trail you are looking at that contains Monument Rock extends from the dock in Tobin Harbor near Hidden Lake to Lookout Louise. That is the terminus of the Greenstone Ridge Trail and goes no further to the northeast. There was a thread here sometime ago discussing a possible bushwack from Lookout Louise to Blake Point (about 1/2 mile past the ship wreck site). This is not something I would relish doing as that area has got to be some very dense boreal forest and steep cliffs to the north. To visit that shipwreck site I would want a power boat or maybe a sea kayak on a decent weather day.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013