Greenstone Ridge Trail - Water availability bn South Desor and Windigo

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

vgeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Greenstone Ridge Trail - Water availability bn South Desor and Windigo

Post by vgeh »

I know there are no water sources in the Greenstone Ridge Trail. But I see two stream running across the Island Mine Trail(less than half mile south of Greenstone Ridge Trail intersection). Are these reliable water sources(Sept first week trip)?
Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Greenstone Ridge Trail - Water availability bn South Desor and Windigo

Post by Ingo »

I don't remember hearing of anyone not being able to get any water at Island Mine. But I have heard of folks having to dig a hole in the stream bed. There's also a 3rd stream just past the campground from the ridge--that's what they have marked as the water source for the CG. All three were running fine early this year, but that doesn't say anything about Sept--I'd plan to check all three.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

We had looked at Island Mine as part of our trip and I wondered about this too. We talked to some backpackers at Windigo at the end of our trip who had been there.. this was last week on 8/11. To support Ingo's post, that they got water at an area on the creek south of the campground that had been "damed up" by previous back packers... but that they got what they needed.
vgeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by vgeh »

Thanks Ingo and Paul.
I am going to send an email. If not would probably need to carry additional water bottle.