Duncan Bay Narrows from Lookout Louise

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

vgeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Duncan Bay Narrows from Lookout Louise

Post by vgeh »

There is no official trail shown in the NatGeo map from Lookout Louise to Duncan Narrows campsite. Is this off trail hike?
Looks all downhill in the topo. How bad is this section?
Anyone have any experience hiking this section recently and camping at Duncan Narrows? Thanks
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Duncan Bay Narrows from Lookout Louise

Post by Ingo »

Very bad. Cliffs, straight down (and presumably back up). I've read about a bushwack from the Duncan/Tobin portage to the narrows and that alone was very rough--very thick underbrush along a steep rocky shoreline.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

On the National Geographic map, campsites that don't have trail access are typically accessed only by water.

The northwest side of the Greenstone Ridge in the vicinity of Lookout Louise is mostly cliffs. This is a typical geological feature for all the ridges on Isle Royale, the southeast facing slopes are relatively gentle compared with the northwest facing slopes, which are often very steep.
vgeh
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by vgeh »

Lol, glad I asked. Then, I would not hike to Lookout Louise as out & back LL the same day would not be possible to accommodate in my trip schedule. Thanks!