Itinerary for 9-4 to 9-10 Feedback/answers

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Mazydog4
NewbieCake

Itinerary for 9-4 to 9-10 Feedback/answers

Post by Mazydog4 »

My husband, adult sons, and I will be taking the ferry from Grand Portage to McCargoe Cove. None of us have ever been to Isle Royale. My husband has backpacking experience. I have one- hike down to Havasu Falls and back up with pack. My sons have none, but are very physically active. We are trying to see as much of the island's highlights as we can during the time there.
When the ferry stops at Windigo before we go on to McCargoe, could we prepay for our fuel canister since we will have to give ours up on Friday?

1st night: W Chickenbone
2nd day: Hike and stay at Moskey Basin
3rd day: Hike and overnight at Lane Cove.
4th day: Hike to RH and we have reservations for a cottage. Do we need reservations for meals at the restaurant or grill?
5th day: We have until 4:45 that day. We have reservations for sea plane from Rock Harbor to Windigo. Is there a kayaking experience you would recommend? Is there any where we could leave our packs at after we check out of the cottage for several hours so we can kayak or walk around without the packs until we fly? Will we have issues with getting a camp site at Windigo when we arrive at 5:15 or so?
6th day: Hiking the Huginnin Cove trail, either taking our pack and camping overnight or leaving pack at campsite in Windigo a 2nd night and doing the loop that day.

2 of our sleeping bags are rated to 50 degrees. Do you feel this is an issue? We are trying not to have to buy more supplies OR have to pack heavy clothing. We have long pancho's. We were not planning on wearing rain pants - again since 3 of us don't have them and felt the thin hiking pants were dry quickly.

Any suggestions or feedback on our trip is appreciated.
Thanks.
Montana
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Itinerary for 9-4 to 9-10 Feedback/answers

Post by Montana »

Here are some of the answers to your questions based on my August trip to the west end of IR:

1) The Windigo store is winding down their inventory. They had plenty of fuel the week of August 14th. Only 1 person needs to handle the registration process with the Park Service, the others can go to the store and make the call on the fuel. You will need to be quick as they want you back on the boat.
2) I don't know what the long term weather holds, but we used 20 degree bags and were very happy to have them.
3) You should not have problems getting a shelter/campsite in Windigo .
4) Rain Pants. We experienced the Minong Monsoon and were very happy to have rain pants. They also helped in the mornings hiking thru wet brush.

Have a great trip!
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by paulbates »

I think your routes sound good.

For sleeping bags, fyi: Based on the forecast alone, you are right on the temperature edge with your 50 degree sleeping bags. I just backpacked there August 5th - 11th. My bag's comfort range is 45 and I had at least one night where I woke up feeling a little cool. It only got in the 50s, but I made a mental note to look for a bag liner for next time.

Second on the rain pants. Some overgrown areas are like walking through a car wash.. even based on dew and not rain. The net effect is soaked pants and then going inside of the boots

Speaking of boots: IR trails are rife with rocks and roots. Bring sturdy, trusted and well broken in boots... and moleskin to address feet. Granted it would be tough to break in new ones this close to your arrival date.

Paul
Last edited by paulbates on Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Without rain pants or gaiters you may likely have water running down your legs and into your boots, even with a heavy dew. If you do stick with ponchos, hike in shorts and save your dry pants for warmth in camp. You can't rely on being able to dry things out.
I use a 35 deg bag and light silk liner on IR. Enough for me, barely, even in July. A lot of folks use a 20 deg bag. Don't trust the forecasts and be prepared for 40s. I've seen that in every month during the season.
Have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Sounds like a terrific trip!

the restaurant/grill: I don't think reservations are needed. I'm not even sure what the mechanism for making them would be!

kayak: I had a blast kayaking around Tobin Harbor, looking (futilely) for otters and checking out the islands, camps, and almost-ducks. You could park at hidden lake dock and hike up to Lookout Louise.

stashing things: the Rock Harbor Lodge will usually store backpacks, for a fee (which they might waive in light of your cabin rental).
Mazydog4
NewbieCake

Post by Mazydog4 »

Thanks to all of you with the answers. I have been so busy trying to coordinate/pack for the trip AND get my work done, I haven't had a chance to look at the forum.
After reading your answers about the wet ground cover, we purchased waterproof gaiters for the 4 of us that had great reviews for keeping the boots and lower legs dry. I already purchased our park entrance fees, so my husband hopes that he finds the canister at the store in Windigo that we can pre-pay for and pick up after we fly into Windigo from RH on the 8th.
I appreciate the recommendation of kayaking around Tobin Harbor - I hope the weather cooperates to do this. Also, since we are paying for the cabin, one night, I hope they are willing to let us store our backpacks.
Nobody has made any suggestions regarding our itinerary, so I am hoping no suggestions means it looks good.
Thanks again!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Mazydog4 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:38 pm Nobody has made any suggestions regarding our itinerary, so I am hoping no suggestions means it looks good.
Thanks again!
:)
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Mazydog4 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:38 pm Nobody has made any suggestions regarding our itinerary, so I am hoping no suggestions means it looks good.
Thanks again!
It's fair to assume that no comment is good news here. But for the record: your route is good and doable for the group you've described.

I've only paid to kayak Tobin Harbor by Rock Harbor. The Windigo store does canoe rentals as well (I don't recall seeing kayaks, but that doesn't mean they aren't there). Both places, it's expensive to rent: around $50 for a few hours.