Hidden Lake to Lane Cove

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Drbaiti
NewbieCake

Hidden Lake to Lane Cove

Post by Drbaiti »

My girlfriend and I will be arriving to IR, via Copper Harbor and hope to
spend our first night at Lane Cove. Do you feel this is doable? This is our
first visit to IR. We are in good physical shape, but are not extremely
experienced hikers/backpackers.
Thanks for your input.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Hidden Lake to Lane Cove

Post by Midwest Ed »

A first night at Lane Cove CG is fairly popular. The Queen arrive around Noon so even this late in the season when hiking hours become shorter, this goal is reasonable from Rock Harbor. I am confused about your reference to Hidden Lake. What are you plans or expectations regarding Hidden Lake?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

It might be easier/quicker/more efficient (than arranging transport from rock harbor to hidden lake dock and walking to Lane Cove from there) to head directly to Lane Cove from Rock Harbor: take either the Rock Harbor or the Tobin Harbor (quicker) trail to the Mt Franklin trail, then up and over the Greenstone Ridge to Lane Cove. The ~ 7 mile route undulates some, but it's readily doable in an afternoon, and the spur to Lane Cove is one of my favorite walks on the island.
Drbaiti
NewbieCake

Post by Drbaiti »

Thanks so much. We have already arranged/paid for a water taxi to Hidden Lake dock. My main concern was the technically of the hike and distance, since we would probably not get started before 1:00pm. I would hope there would be camping sites available when we arrive. Maybe mid September is not as busy on IR. Weather forecast couldn't be better! Thanks again for your input. :)
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I like the idea of a taxi to Hidden Lake dock. I did that on my first day on the island a couple of years ago and there was plenty of time to get to Lane Cove. Nothing technical about the trail. It may be a bit overgrown, but you should be able to see the trail, or at least feel it. I am told the trail to lane Cove has seen quite a bit of beaver activity, so it may be quite wet.

On your way out of Lane Cove, you will be tempted to take a break at the junction with the Greenstone, after the climb up. Hold off. Go West less than half a mile. On your right will be open ridge with tremendous views. A great place to drop packs!
Drbaiti
NewbieCake

Post by Drbaiti »

Thanks Jerry. I appreciate your info. and will heed your advice. So, excited for our first visit to Isle Royale next week. 😊
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

It would be nice to see Lookout Louise and Monument Rock but keep in mind the total hiking distance via that route will be about 1.5 miles longer than hiking from Rock Harbor. Plus you will have whatever additional delays the boat trip creates.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

Congratulations on the water taxi! It'll be cool to motor around Stoll Point. I tried to arrange the same taxi ride last year, but proved inadequate to the logistical challenges. This means I got to walk between Lookout Louise and the Mt Franklin junction in *both* directions this year. It's smooth going, with some nice ridge views. While this stretch of the Greenstone isn't by any stretch of the imagination hard to follow, it's a bit fainter than other, better travelled sections. The clearings are where it's easiest to temporarily lose the trail, due partly to distraction by views. Look for cairns, for the lighter-colored treadway (in a lot of places, the rock across which people have trod shows up as a pearlier pink than the surrounding rock), for evidence (eg gaps in the trees) of where the trail goes when it leaves the clearing. The navigational "challenges" I'm describing are teeny, and for me made the walk more fun!
Drbaiti
NewbieCake

Post by Drbaiti »

Torpified
Thanks for all your info. It's great to hear bits and pieces from those who have gone before us. 😊