Itinerary Advice for cadenparulski

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Itinerary Advice for cadenparulski

Post by IncaRoads »

cadenparulski wrote: This is my first time going a big solo backpacking trip like this- I have adequate hiking and camping experience and I am in pretty good shape, but I would still like some feedback on my planned itinerary. It's not really one I've seen in any of the research that I've done.

I plan on taking the Isle Royale Queen IV out of Copper Harbor, arriving May 14th and departing May 18th (so ~4 days and 4 nights)
Day 1: RH to Moskey- 11 miles
Day 2: Moskey to Hatchet Lake- 13 miles
Day 3: Hatchet to McCargoe- 8 miles
Day 4: McCargoe to 3 Mile: 12.5 miles
Day 5: 3 Mile to RH, plus Scoville Point (barring time)- 3 miles + ~4 miles

Is this doable? I've done a bit of pre-packing and I'm planning for my pack to be about 35ish pounds. I know the weather will probably be rainy and it'll get cold at night. I have everything waterproof I need, and a sleeping bag rated to 0.0F. If these 10+ mile days seem like they are a big stretch because of trail conditions or pack weight, please let me know because I have made shorter itineraries as well. I just want to see as much of the island as I can.
JerryB wrote: For me, those are long days, but everyone is different. Your first day is a long day and I am not sure what time you arrive.

If you wanted to consider a shorter trip, some other sites to hit would be Chippewa, Todd Harbor, McCargo, Moskey, Lane Cove--all some of my favorites
cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Re: Itinerary Advice for cadenparulski

Post by cadenparulski »

I figured it would be a bit of a long haul, especially considering the trail will probably be wet because it's May. I'm supposed to get in around 11 or 11:30AM, then miss an hour for permits and Ranger talks and stuff. So I should be boots on ground ~1PM. Moskey is 11 miles away- I should be able to make it by 9PM or so, if I can keep an alright pace. If I make it to Daisy and I am dead, then I can just stay there and adjust my itinerary accordingly.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I'd also describe myself as having adequate hiking and camping experience and in pretty good shape, and your plan would get hard for me to follow really fast. Isle Royale surprised me. I spent years hiking and backpacking in the Keweenaw and Porcupine Mountains which should be comparable, but 8-mile days on Isle Royale still roughed me up.

If you haven't gone up and over the Greenstone -- plus 5 other ridges, back-to-back-to-back, it's quite an experience. I'd cut down the distances and add in a rest day if possible.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Also consider there may be significant deadfall to deal with that time of year, particularly as you get away from Rock Harbor. Will all depend on where the trail crew has gotten to (or not). Be sure to ask the ranger before you leave. The good thing is you can adjust your itinerary as you go.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

cadenparulski wrote: This is my first time going a big solo backpacking trip like this- I have adequate hiking and camping experience and I am in pretty good shape, but I would still like some feedback on my planned itinerary. It's not really one I've seen in any of the research that I've done.

I plan on taking the Isle Royale Queen IV out of Copper Harbor, arriving May 14th and departing May 18th (so ~4 days and 4 nights)
Day 1: RH to Moskey- 11 miles
Day 2: Moskey to Hatchet Lake- 13 miles
Day 3: Hatchet to McCargoe- 8 miles
Day 4: McCargoe to 3 Mile: 12.5 miles
Day 5: 3 Mile to RH, plus Scoville Point (barring time)- 3 miles + ~4 miles

Is this doable? I've done a bit of pre-packing and I'm planning for my pack to be about 35ish pounds.
Also solo, I followed a very similar itinerary last May --

Day 1: the Queen to RH, then on to Moskey Basin (over copious deadfall)
Day 2: Moskey to Todd, via Hatchet Lake
Day 3: Todd to Daisy Farm
Day 4: Daisy Farm to Rock Harbor, via Lookout Louise
Day 5: spooking foxes along Scoville point, and scouring the Tobin Harbor trail for the water bottle the deadfall stripped off on day 1

My profile: early 50s, <25 pound pack, a fan of walking. I wouldn't have wanted shorter days, because moving is how I kept warm. But these matters epitomize cases where YMMV. I filed both a trip report ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3318 )and an after action review (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3332&hilit=after+action+review).
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I love your itinerary. Good miles. However I’m surprised that you think it will take you eight hours to get to Moskey. I think you’re being very generous with the amount of time that you are giving yourself, which is a good thing of course. Plus it would be nice to get there before it gets dark. As someone else mentioned above, one thing I would do is plan in a rest day. Those are always nice to have whether or not you are doing big miles. I usually like to take one Every three or four days, but then again that is because I like to do laundry and hang my clothes to dry for a day. The only thing I don’t like about what you mentioned is the fact that you have a 35 pound backpack. If I were you I’d like to get that down to at least 25 pounds, a solid 20 would be even more ideal.
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)