Almost time to begin my first trip!

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

michael.mast
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Almost time to begin my first trip!

Post by michael.mast »

I hadn't heard of Isle Royale before this February and after I had I started to plan right away and now it's almost time to leave!

Monday, June 18, Arrive in Houghton and fly in to Windigo around noon. Get checked in, look around and camp overnight at Washington Creek.
Tuesday, June 19, Washington Creek to South Desor.
Wednesday, June 20, South Desor to West Chickenbone.
Thursday, June 21, West Chickenbone to Daisy Farm or Three Mile, depends on how I feel by then.
Friday, June 22, Arrive at Rock Harbor pretty early and grab a site for my last night and hang out in town.
Saturday, June 23, Take the Ranger III back to Houghton and drive back home.

That's the basic idea but there are options and I plan on being flexible. The weather forecast looks dry after the rain that's falling today stops, but I'll be prepared for whatever happens. I'm assuming bugs will be my biggest problem but I'll be ready for that too. It's going to be a great trip and I can't wait to get started!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: Almost time to begin my first trip!

Post by torpified »

that looks like a terrific plan -- only I wonder whether the flooding made getting to IR as much of an adventure as being there! Please report back to let us know how it went.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

If you have time in Rock Harbor, don't miss the easy day hike on the Stoll Trail.
michael.mast
NewbieCake

Post by michael.mast »

My first trip to the island did not go as planned but it was still a blast. Driving through Houghton was a challenge but enough roads were open that I was able to get through. My first night/morning at Washington Creek gave me my first moose encounter as I woke up just after 3 to hear one splashing in the creek. The trails were muddy in spots and I was not covering ground as quickly as I had thought I would so I ended up spending my second night at Island Mine and changed the plan. I really couldn't take a chance that I might miss the Ranger III on Saturday. The next morning I hiked back to Windigo and caught the Voyageur II to Rock Harbor, where I spent night #3. The next day I had an easy hike to Three Mile for night #4 and back to Rock Harbor via the Tobin Harbor trail for my final night. I'm already looking at a new plan for next year that will give me a few more days and make the daily mileage easier. I would like to do one island crossing on foot before I start bringing my sea kayak with me, because that will change everything.

It really is an amazing place and I'm very happy that I was able to make this trip. I spent part of 6 days there and not one drop of rain! Really the weather couldn't have been any better. Even the mosquitoes weren't too bad. Now that I've been here once and I have a much better idea of what to expect I will be much better prepared for my next adventure.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

michael.mast wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:57 pm My first trip to the island did not go as planned but it was still a blast.
You definitely faced some adversity with the flooding in the UP. How did the island fair with all the rain that affected the UP?
michael.mast
NewbieCake

Post by michael.mast »

They did get some rain on the island but no where near as bad as the Houghton area did. I talked to some people that were there over the weekend camping and hiking and while the rains did affect them they were able to work through it. The Greenstone and other trails had their muddy spots but I was expecting worse. Seaplane service was unaffected.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Glad you were able to make things work for you! I've had a few couple trips that didn't go as planned, too. Seems things always get worked out and then you start planning the next one :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH