Feldtmann Loop questions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

aaronstephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Feldtmann Loop questions

Post by aaronstephen »

This is the first time I will be hiking this loop and had a couple of questions for those who've done this a few times.

1. I looked up the mileage on each days hike and know that 8 miles can vary in difficulty and length of time depending on trail conditions. What seems to be the average mph when hiking from windigo to Feldtmann Lake and from Feldtmann Lake to Siskiwit Cove?

2. I'm making this trip with my 12 year old son and we've done Porcupine before and he seemed to do well, however, he seemed to regret the 8-10 mile hike days, LOL. However, porcupine had TONS of mud and several areas where we were up and over ridges that took some extra work during the hike. Any thoughts on how you all think he would do?

The alternative is to maybe hike up to huginnin cove and stick around that area for a few days and day hike over the 4 days we will be there, with a possibility of staying a night on beaver island.
aaron
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Feldtmann Loop questions

Post by Ingo »

Windigo -> Feldtmann: 1 up and down, about 200' elevation, otherwise flat.
Feldtmann -> Siskiwit Bay: 1 up and down, about 500' elevation, flat on top of the ridge and either end.
Siskiwit -> Island Mine: Flat, then about 700' up.
Island Mine -> Windigo (Washington Creek): 700' gradual downhill all the way.
Personally, I don't do well with steep climbs and did it in the other direction for that reason, which I think was a good choice for me at least. I averaged 1.5 mph pretty consistently over the course of a day--taking it steady, and resting/pausing fairly frequently. Not young or in great shape (but stubborn and keep going :)).

When my girls were mid-teens we did a canoe trip that involved the portage from hell between Tobin Harbor and Duncan Bay. Beforehand I made it out to be the most miserable thing they would ever experience--and afterward they said "It wasn't THAT bad, Dad!" Even with a couple trips and falls on the trail. So my psychology worked! I think setting (exaggerated) expectations and getting their buy-in before the trip was a big part of it, especially at that age. And if not, the Huginnin Cove alternative is a nice relaxed trip to a beautiful spot.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I think a twelve-year old will be fine.
As for speed, I always assume two miles per hour, including stops. I guess I would stick to that on the two trail legs you ask about. I also think the comparison to the Porkies is interesting. You are 100% correct on the mud in the Porkies. You will get muddy trails on I.R. too but, in my view, nothing compares to the Porkies. (A ranger there told me the water table is just a few inches below the surface there.) This will make the island seem easier. I also think of the Porkies as being very similar to IR, but "smushed together" more. In other words, elevations may be similar but the distance between high points is less in the Porkies. To me, IR is a more pleasant hike.

Enjoy the Loop! Make sure you head out to Rainbow Cove just outside Fetdtman and check out the locomotive between Siskiwit and Island Mine (it is closer to Island Mine; going up to Island Mine, there will be a small trail heading off to the right and some mine tailings visible. Go that way, over the the tailings).
aaronstephen
NewbieCake

Post by aaronstephen »

Ingo wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:29 pm Windigo -> Feldtmann: 1 up and down, about 200' elevation, otherwise flat.
Feldtmann -> Siskiwit Bay: 1 up and down, about 500' elevation, flat on top of the ridge and either end.
Siskiwit -> Island Mine: Flat, then about 700' up.
Island Mine -> Windigo (Washington Creek): 700' gradual downhill all the way.
Personally, I don't do well with steep climbs and did it in the other direction for that reason, which I think was a good choice for me at least. I averaged 1.5 mph pretty consistently over the course of a day--taking it steady, and resting/pausing fairly frequently. Not young or in great shape (but stubborn and keep going :)).

When my girls were mid-teens we did a canoe trip that involved the portage from hell between Tobin Harbor and Duncan Bay. Beforehand I made it out to be the most miserable thing they would ever experience--and afterward they said "It wasn't THAT bad, Dad!" Even with a couple trips and falls on the trail. So my psychology worked! I think setting (exaggerated) expectations and getting their buy-in before the trip was a big part of it, especially at that age. And if not, the Huginnin Cove alternative is a nice relaxed trip to a beautiful spot.
Thanks for your reply. this is very helpful. Just knowing a little more info before we head out for the trails will better prepare us for our trip. This is definitely looking doable and it will be nice to do some fishing at Feldtmann lake as well.
aaron
aaronstephen
NewbieCake

Post by aaronstephen »

JerryB wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:32 pm I think a twelve-year old will be fine.
As for speed, I always assume two miles per hour, including stops. I guess I would stick to that on the two trail legs you ask about. I also think the comparison to the Porkies is interesting. You are 100% correct on the mud in the Porkies. You will get muddy trails on I.R. too but, in my view, nothing compares to the Porkies. (A ranger there told me the water table is just a few inches below the surface there.) This will make the island seem easier. I also think of the Porkies as being very similar to IR, but "smushed together" more. In other words, elevations may be similar but the distance between high points is less in the Porkies. To me, IR is a more pleasant hike.

Enjoy the Loop! Make sure you head out to Rainbow Cove just outside Fetdtman and check out the locomotive between Siskiwit and Island Mine (it is closer to Island Mine; going up to Island Mine, there will be a small trail heading off to the right and some mine tailings visible. Go that way, over the the tailings).
Thanks for sharing your experience and sharing your comparison between the porkies and IR. I think we will be able to make this loop happen.
aaron
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2186
This is a link to my trip report from a hike on the F. Loop. Now if to this report and there are several others you should check out.

By the way, I am heading to the Porkies in October.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Here's a video I made of my trip last year--there's a long and short version of the same thing. It was May and probably as wet/muddy as you would likely see. Later in the season you should expect the trails to be more overgrown, particularly between Siskiwit Bay and the Feldtmann fire tower.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHnKCi ... E1K56xtpFQ
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
aaronstephen
NewbieCake

Post by aaronstephen »

Any of you ever make the hike to Lake Halloran? Any recent reports as to the condition of this type of hike off trail? Are there any routes that are drier than others? Looking to maximize our opportunity to fish.
aaron
rich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by rich »

See the bottom of the thread below. They fished halloran this year.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3588
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove
TrailBlazin728
NewbieCake

Post by TrailBlazin728 »

Yes indeed, I have fished on Lake Halloran over a dozen times in the last 10yrs! We basically bushwhacked by map to get there, no GPS used. Great fishing, mostly for pike, but I put a 44.5in northern pike on shore in 2023, and it was an absolute beast!

The best way to get to Halloran in my own experience is to walk approx .8 miles from Siskwit on the trail to Feldtmann Lake, then cut into the woodline on your left side of the trail and begin the trek, it's very wet and mostly swampy area almost the entire way to Halloran. I actually got smart and started taking my ultra lightweight waders for this exact reason. The waders were worth carrying the entire two weeks we are there because we fish every single day and use backcountry permits to do so. I would recommend August only because it's the driest month of the year, so it's a little less treacherous on the excursions to Halloran and several other inland lakes.

Walking the area around Halloran is not easy to navigate, many obstacles and if you are there during July- Sept you can count on the bugs being absolutely insane, so bring your netted suit to fix that, and then you will catch fish nearly every single cast pretty much.