Campsites Space

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

lynntucker72
NewbieCake

Campsites Space

Post by lynntucker72 »

First trip to IR first week of Aug with my husband and 2 other couples. Will the 6 of us be able to set up camp our 3 tents on one campsite or will we need more than one? I wasn't totally sure of the sizes. Planning on staying at Lane Cove, one of the Chickenbones and Daisy Farm. Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Campsites Space

Post by philranger »

Yes, you should be able to set up all 3 tents in 1 site.
Daisy Farm has shelters all 6 of you can share.

West Chickenbone is my favorite trail camp.
Last edited by philranger on Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Campsites Space

Post by Tom »

It sort of depends on the size of the tents, but even if they are traditional lightweight 2-man tents, most of the campsites can support two solid tent pads, the third can be iffy if existent at all. (BTW, while I know East Chickenbone is closer for your route, West is worth the extra miles. Way better camp..)
Daisy Farm will also have an abundance of shelters; putting six in one, with gear, is where they are going to get tight. Four easy, six, umm, more intimate. Most of the Daisy Farm tent sites are the typical two-pad configuration, and even then, one of those two can be less desirable, with roots and rocks.
Technically, I think you could register for permits as 2+2+2, but a 4+2 would also work, with a similar itinerary. It also allows a group/pair to split off, if needed. You can always share campsites if it works out, but that also provides the option to separate, as well. (I'll call it a loop-hole.)