Itinerary questions

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Itinerary questions

Post by Don_P »

My proposed itinerary has me thinking, and I have a few itinerary questions. We plan to take the water taxi from Rock Harbor and would camp at Chippewa Harbor or hike to Lake Ritchie the first night. For those who've taken the taxi before, how long a ride is it to Chippewa from RH? Also, when does it get dark in late August? I can't remember but wonder if we'll have enough daylight (with some to spare) to make it to Lake Ritchie. The mileage isn't a problem for my wife or me, but we have two kids who don't walk as fast. How would you rate the trail between Chippewa and Lake Ritchie? We've not been that far west in prior trips.

Last question has nothing to do with the island... are there places in Copper Harbor where we can get a sub / hoagie /sandwich to take with us?

Thanks in advance!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Itinerary questions

Post by Ingo »

Haven't done it, but it's 12 miles. I'm guessing that's less than an hour for that boat. Couldn't be more than 2 -- that would be a slow boat. I'm sure lake conditions could have some effect though.

In any case, stay at Chippewa Harbor! You won't regret it.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Hi Don,

I don't have the answer on RH -> Chippewa, but I recently got a note from the lodge saying the water taxi ride from RH -> Malone was 2 hours ... so Ingo is spot on with his estimate of less than an hour.

The real trick comes in getting the start time; even with one planned, the weather can back it up a bit. I'll second the suggestion to plan on staying at Chippewa as it removes time stress and is a great place to visit.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

For all things daylight, I use http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneYear.php
For IR, plug in "Grand Marais" in MN for probably the closest city. (If you use Form B, you can actually use coordinates, if you want the EXACT sunset at say, Lake Ritchie...)

Just note DST and timezone when using it, and add 30 minutes of 'enough light' before sunrise and after sunset times.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

The Thompson boats used by the Water taxi scoot along, I would say less than an hour. I think the the Voyageur makes it in about an hour (Capt Don???).

As far as Subs, I know the little store/gas station on the East end South side of the road used to make subs.
I would check there.
The Mariner may make you a sub to go, but I think you would have to get it the night before.
Don_P
LNT Expert

Post by Don_P »

Thanks gents. Great info!
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Hey Don,

The trail from Chippewa to Lake Richie is pretty easy, although trends uphill.

The Pines is a good place for a breakfast in Copper Harbor and may be able to make you sandwiches to go in the morning. Check with them at 906-289-4222. You could also pick up a subway on the way through Calumet if you have a cooler to keep it in overnight.

I second the idea of spending the first night at Chippewa - it's a beautiful place. Go to the group campsites and take a trail you will see that goes through the last campsite into an open area with a grassy. rocky hillside to your left. If you continue straight you will find the "schoolhouse", actually an old fishing building with a school desk in it. If you take the trail left up the hillside and follow he trail/rock cairns you will get to the top of an open rock ridge with spectacular views of the Lake.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Thriding (?) the suggestion to stay a night at Chippewa...it's one of my favorite spots on the island. The harbor is beautiful when you're sitting down at the dock looking across the water at the cliff on the other side and seeing eagles or hawks playing around there.

The hike thru the group campsite and up the ridge is also recommended...you can see quite a ways in many directions. This is also where someone got video of two wolves last year...maybe you might get lucky too!
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Backpacker534 »

Hi, Don. My buddy and I ate at the Pines restaurant a few years ago on our first trip to I.R. We were there in the morning and ate breakfast so I can't speak about the other menu items, but the breakfast was good. Also, if you just want to pick up some snack food there is a party store just to the east and on the opposite side of the street from the Pines. Picked up some beverages and snacks in there two years ago...friendly staff.
Don_P
LNT Expert

Post by Don_P »

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll give them a buzz a little closer to time to go. Wouldn't want them to think I was loony (I am). The Pines is definitely on the list for breakfast before hitting the boat. We'll get a cinnamon roll to go for our human vacuum cleaners. I'm sure we'll hit the general store! A couple years ago when visiting we realized we'd forgotten spoons (the only utensils we pack) and hit up the little general store for (metal) replacements. Seems we always forget the utensils....
Don_P
LNT Expert

Post by Don_P »

One more question (for now)... We're planning a "zero" day for Lori and the girls at McCargoe Cove. I have always wanted to go to Todd Harbor and wonder if looping back via the Greenstone is do-able in a day. As an alternate, I'd reverse course at Todd Harbor but would prefer to cover ground I've not yet seen.

21 miles at IR seems like a lot but have others done it? The most I've done in a day with a full pack is 27 miles in the Monteagle, TN, area. Much more elevation change than IR but not quite as rocky.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

21 miles will be a full day, but if you are not overnighting all you will need is a daypack (bring the water filter). The first part, on the Minong, is pretty rough, but the cutover to the Greenstone and the Greenstone itself are easy walks, albeit with elevation gain. I wouldn't do it in the rain, but if you get a clear day it should be fine. You'll get some fantastic views from the ridge just before the descent to Chickenbone.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather