Looking for an Itinerary..

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

byrd
NewbieCake

Looking for an Itinerary..

Post by byrd »

Hello everyone....my wife and I and 2 friends (4 total) are headed to the park for the first time a short backpacking trip. We have ferry tickets in and out of Rock Harbor already. I'm trying to figure out the best route for us to take. We arrive on June 6 and will leave on June 9. With my wife I think that 8 mile days might be our max (or I'll be carrying two packs with an unhappy spouse). We were looking at doing Rock Harbor-Daisy Farm-Lane Cove-Three Mile-Rock Harbor....but I would like to squeeze just a little more mileage in if we can. Open to all suggestions! We are really excited to get out there, starting the countdown already.....
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Re: Looking for an Itinerary..

Post by srparr »

Welcome byrd!

Leaving by foot & returning to RH in 4 days mostly limits you to the east end.

One alternative to get further into the backcountry is to book a water taxi to take your group to Chippewa harbor and then hike back (Chippewa, Moskey, Three-mile, RH). This lets you stay at two of the nicer sites on the east end (Chippewa and Moskey). It also gives you some flexibility on mileage ... you could spend extra time wherever you want on the way back, and still arrive at RH before your ferry ride, or push into RH the night before and then just relax or rent a canoe and paddle to Hidden lake/Lookout Louise before your ferry.

If you start at Chippewa, you could modify the route to stop at Daisy instead of Moskey, and then climb up to the Ojibway tower, over to Mt. Franklin, and then down to Three-mile. You might feel up to skipping Three-mile and going the last couple miles to RH to have a nice dinner at the lodge!

Another option is to ride the taxi to Daisy, then hike right away to McCargo, spend a day there exploring the mines, then return via Daisy and then into RH in time to catch your ride. This makes for longer mileage, but McCargo is a cool place to spend a day just soaking up the island ambiance.

Of course, you could just water taxi to McCargo and start from there! :-)

I've never been to the island in June. Make sure you bring bug protection; I've always heard that black flies come out the last week of May and go into late June.

Whichever route you choose, the water taxi will give you some freedom to get away deeper into the island if that is what you want. Enjoy your trip!
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I agree with srparr, you should get to Chippewa Harbor and hike back to Rock Harbor. Chippewa Harbor and Moskey Basin are some of the best campgrounds on the Island. You can do sidehikes once you get set up at your camp. Welcome to the forums.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
byrd
NewbieCake

Post by byrd »

Thanks srparr and philranger. I actually hadn't realized that the water taxis were an option. That does sound like a good idea. I'm wondering if we might be able to take it over to Daisy and then hike to Moskey, then maybe up to Chicken bone and back down to Daisy or ThreeMile and out? Or is Chippewa worth it to just set up there for the day and hike back? Any idea how much daylight we'll have after getting in from the ferry and then heading over on the water taxi?
srparr
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by srparr »

Check out the water taxi info at the Rock Harbor Lodge site http://foreverlodging.com/foreverinfo.c ... ntKey=2612.

That schedule is doable, but Chippewa Harbor is pretty cool too. Whatever you decide, you should have daylight until around 9:30 or 10 pm. I'm not sure how quickly you can leave on the water taxi after arriving (depends on what schedule the taxi sets for the day, based on reservations).
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Don_P »

Another vote for the water taxi to Chippewa Harbor and hike back to Rock Harbor. Enjoy your trip!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

byrd wrote:Thanks srparr and philranger. I actually hadn't realized that the water taxis were an option. That does sound like a good idea. I'm wondering if we might be able to take it over to Daisy and then hike to Moskey, then maybe up to Chicken bone and back down to Daisy or ThreeMile and out? Or is Chippewa worth it to just set up there for the day and hike back? Any idea how much daylight we'll have after getting in from the ferry and then heading over on the water taxi?
Don't see much advantage of taxi'ing to Daisy Farm. If you're not convinced, another vote for Chippewa Harbor to R.H.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote:
byrd wrote:Thanks srparr and philranger. I actually hadn't realized that the water taxis were an option. That does sound like a good idea. I'm wondering if we might be able to take it over to Daisy and then hike to Moskey, then maybe up to Chicken bone and back down to Daisy or ThreeMile and out? Or is Chippewa worth it to just set up there for the day and hike back? Any idea how much daylight we'll have after getting in from the ferry and then heading over on the water taxi?
Don't see much advantage of taxi'ing to Daisy Farm. If you're not convinced, another vote for Chippewa Harbor to R.H.
What he and the others said!!!!
Hikerken
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Hikerken »

Agree to above answers.

I would not waste my time at East Chickenbone campground.

You also have the option if you get back to RH early to take the trail out to Scoville Point before your ferry ride back.
Life is short so try everytihing at least once, If you like it do it again.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Another vote for the water taxi to Chippewa, then hiking back to Rock Harbor. Don't bother taking the water taxi to Daisy, because you can hike there in a few hours.