First time trip planning

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

herrma29
NewbieCake

First time trip planning

Post by herrma29 »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to plan a trip for myself and a group of friends to Isle Royale this summer. After talking with everybody, the best dates we could come up with that would work are May 15- May 22. Right now, my plan is to take the ferry across on the first Friday, base camp for the weekend, and hike for the following week, leaving the next Friday.

Right now, I'm working on figuring out the costs for everything. The only ferry that appears to be running out of Michigan at that time is the Queen IV, at $114 a ride. Does anyone know how much I should expect in fees?

What sort of bugs and weather should I be expecting for that time of year? I have a pretty good idea, but I would like to hear from those with experience.

Any recommended routes/favorite sites?

Where should we stay the night before catching the ferry?

Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll have more questions in time.

-Chris
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: First time trip planning

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi Chris,

The only fee other than the ticket is the Park daily fee, which I believe is $4/day/person. Shelters and campsites are all free and first-come, first-served. There are campground stay limits but those do not kick in until June 1.

Bugs and weather: I would expect NO bugs and cold weather, at least at night. Could be rainy as well, although the weather can vary pretty widely that time of year.

Lots of hiking opportunities are available. If you have some extra $$$ (around $50/person), you could get on the Voyageur Sunday morning and get dropped at Chippewa Harbor or Malone Bay and hike back to Rock Harbor from there.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

The King Copper or Bella Vista are close to the dock,I have stayed at both they are fine for the night before lodging.

I will be working in Rock Harbor in the Vistor Center when you arrive, stop in and introduce yourself, I will be happy to point out trails, ideas for a trip ect.
herrma29
NewbieCake

Post by herrma29 »

Thanks John, I will be sure to do that!