4 night trip, need advice

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: 4 night trip, need advice

Post by johnhens »

You said you have 5 nights on the Island. Are you taking the seaplane or the Voyager? How are you getting off at the end of your trip?
WalkingCrow
NewbieCake

Post by WalkingCrow »

johnhens wrote:Are you taking the seaplane or the Voyager? How are you getting off at the end of your trip?
I am hoping to take the seaplane round trip (if they can accommodate me).
Last edited by WalkingCrow on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalkingCrow
NewbieCake

Post by WalkingCrow »

WalkingCrow wrote:I'd have the most "free time" at Lake Desor North, so I am hoping that would give me time gear up for the last leg out to Windigo.
I'm reading the Isle Royale book by Jim DuFresne, and he says this is the hardest leg of the Minong, so perhaps it is good to have a short leg here.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

WalkingCrow wrote:
johnhens wrote:Are you taking the seaplane or the Voyager? How are you getting off at the end of your trip?
I am hoping to take the seaplane round trip (if they can accommodate me).
The reason I ask is that you are planning on doing 12. miles the last day which may make it tight getting off if teh weather turns South (goes bad). Just a thought!
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

John raises a good point. If you plan on staying at Windigo that last night you are good though. I have done that leg and ended up at Windigo shortly after 1 pm with an early start, and I'm not a terribly fast or hurried hiker, wasn't trying to get there at any specific time. It all depends on what time that plane is picking you up. Wet weather could slow you down.

While Little Todd to North Desor is short in mileage, it can be pretty grueling. No big climbs, but not much level walking either. On the other hand, it's my favorite leg of your trip, most of it on rocky ridge top. The next day begins much the same way. Challenging if those rocks are wet.

I think it looks like a fun trip. You'll be hitting some good spots. You'll be tempted to stay at some of them a couple nights. Be flexible for weather and pain and have a great time.
WalkingCrow
NewbieCake

Post by WalkingCrow »

Thanks Kevin and John.

Yeah it does seem to be a bit risky doing that last leg. The last flight is at 5pm, so if I don't make that I'm stuck. I'd be staying the last night at Desor North, so the 12 miles would have to be done by 5pm (I'd want to plan be there by 3:30/4 to be safe). I'm glad to hear you made it by 1pm Kevin, I'll definitely have to get out to an early start.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

You should have plenty of time to get there by five. I like to drink lots of water at night if I want to get an early start. That makes sure I'm up.

Let's say you hike two miles per hour, which isn't too crazy fast. Even if you start hiking at 10, you should still have time for ice cream at the store. Hopefully.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Kevinl wrote: I like to drink lots of water at night if I want to get an early start. That makes sure I'm up.
I'm getting to the point where ANY water works for that :cry:
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
WalkingCrow
NewbieCake

Post by WalkingCrow »

Just a quick update, the fight schedule I wanted was not available. Originally I had thought to take a Noon flight to Windigo and then the 5pm flight out.

The only options I have with them are the 2pm flight to Windigo and the 3pm flight back to houghton.

This makes my itinerary very tight. I would have to make it to Feldtman Lake that first night, and losing the 2 hours because of the later flight has me wondering if this is even possible. What time does the sun go down?

Then of course there is the last leg from N. Desor back to Windigo. I'd have to be back by 2pm.