Merritt Lane and Duncan Narrows

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Merritt Lane and Duncan Narrows

Post by Ingo »

Anyone ever used the tent sites at Merritt Lane or Duncan Narrows? Thinking trying Merritt Lane but a little concerned if it's full there's not a good standby.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
IRR
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 25

Re: Merritt Lane and Duncan Narrows

Post by IRR »

I haven't stayed at Merritt Lane, but cruise by there probably every other day when I'm up there. So fwiw, it's rare to see more than a single group staying there. Usually they're not even camping, just waiting out the weather before going around Blake, or catching their breath after a hair-raising trip around it. I'd pretty much guarantee you'd find a site there.
moss13
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by moss13 »

I have always wanted to know that as well. I would like to camp there but was always worried about it being full of power boaters.
"The Island Is Calling"
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Ingo wrote:Anyone ever used the tent sites at Merritt Lane or Duncan Narrows? Thinking trying Merritt Lane but a little concerned if it's full there's not a good standby.
I have stayed at Merrit once, we had the shelter. I have seen paddlers there one other time in going around.
Duncan Narrows,we have stayed at the tent sites when fisherman were staying in the the shelter, there are a couple of good tent sites before you get to the shelters as you paddle West into the Narrows.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Good to know there's decent tent sites at Duncan Narrows. The tent site at Duncan Bay is pretty unappealing--just cut out of thick brush kinda leaving a wall around it.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

I've stayed at Merritt Lane and found it quite nice. Fun to watch the freighter go by at night. Also tried bushwacking out to Blake Point, but never made it.

The only down side is landing the kayak. The landing area I found was rocky and difficult, so be prepared for a "wet" exit--no fun in May.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Most times I've paddled around Merritt Lane it was full. One time we got there early in the afternoon after heading around Blake and got the shelter. Some other paddlers took the the tent site. A few hours later the weather turned bad and a group of paddlers came around Blake. Waves crashing into/around Blake were getting nasty and they paddled up to the dock. I offered them the whole area in front of the shelter to pitch their tents but they didn't accept and moved onto an island just southeast of our location.

Have found groups of fisherman there as well.

Regards,

Damon
KeyMeKoe
NewbieCake

Post by KeyMeKoe »

Generally I try to arrive at Merritt Lane early. I usually paddle to Duncan on the way out from Rock Harbor and stay at Merritt when coming back from Belle Isle. When staying at Merritt it is important to get up early and enjoy the sunrise.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

As it turns out we had Duncan Narrows to ourselves. Didn't try going around Blake Pt to Merritt Lane.