Short Itinerary

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

alw52105
NewbieCake

Short Itinerary

Post by alw52105 »

I'm planning for a group of 3, in our upper twenties, new to backpacking but in good physical shape. Arriving RH via Ranger, just looking to get a taste of what there is to see here and to avoid crowds the best we're able 7/28-8/1.
Tentative plan
Day 1 hike to Lane Cove from Rock Harbor
Day 2 Lane Cove to Chickenbone area (would like to stay at Mccargoe but this might be a bit too much?)
Day 3 Chickenbone to Moskey Basin/Daisy Farm
Day 4 Moskey Basin to 3 mile or Rock Harbor
Day 5 leave 9am on Ranger.

Just wondering what the hike is like to Lane Cove, knowing that we'll cross the ridge and that we won't have a chance to get started till 3pm. Is this site popular with paddlers/boaters? Would hate to hike there late and find it full since there are not many sites. Also, it sounds like 3mile-Rock Harbor is a reasonably easy hike?

I've read lots of helpful things on the forums here already, but any general advice appreciated.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Short Itinerary

Post by johnhens »

Welcome to the forums, you will love IR!!
The hike to Lane Cove is nice you follow Tobin Harbor for a while, the up and over the Greesntone is not bad, not too steep for hiking. Lane Cove is nice, not a lot of people go there inlcuding paddlers; most will go to Belle Isle. For some folks, it is their favorite place on the Island.
Stay at West Chickenbone, much nicer than East Chickenbone. The hike across to Moskey is nice, take advantage of the views from the Greentone. Moskey is one of my favorite places on the Island, great place to hangout and relax.
3 mile is a nice place place to overnight before leaving, though getting inot Rock Harbor offers the chance of a shower and a beer and burger if that is your pleasure. The evening presentations by the NPS are good, I have always enjoyed them and learned something. Have a great trip!!
John
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Short Itinerary

Post by Ingo »

We could see you at Lane Cove (paddling), although our itinerary is flexible and if the weather's wet we'll probably be in a shelter at Belle Isle. There isn't a dock at Lane Cove so no boaters. If it's full up folks will almost certainly share a site. If you see a middle aged guy and his daughter in a green canoe, say "Hi".
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH