First timers attempting west to east traverse this October

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

earthman
NewbieCake

First timers attempting west to east traverse this October

Post by earthman »

What a great site! A friend and I are planning our first IR trip for mid-October, and are looking for some advice for a 4/5 day trip from Windigo to Rock Harbor. We feel like we almost have to make Island Mine and Hatchet Lake our first two stops, but were thinking of diverting off of the Greenstone from Hatchet Lake to McCargoe Cove on Day 3, and then on to Daisy Farm on Day 4. Finally, we thought it would be good to climb back up to the ridge on the Ojibway trail and then head down to RH along the Tobin Harbor trail.

More specifically, do any of you who have been there think it is worth the extra few miles to go along the Indian Portage trail from McCargoe Cove (instead of the shorter route back up to the Greenstone Ridge via East Chickenbone)? It looks as if it might be quite scenic along the lake. We're open to other alternatives as well and are perhaps a bit concerned about the 13-mile day from Island Mine to Hatchet Lake. Any other advice regarding campsites or routing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Erik
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: First timers attempting west to east traverse this October

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi earthman,

I'm 54 and not in the greatest shape and I always hike straight to Desor South from Windigo the first day. It's a nice "walk in the woods" trail for that section.

A diversion from Hatchet to McCargoe will give you a taste of the Minong and will probably prove to be your roughest day of hiking, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have a personal preference for going from Hatchet to West Chickenbone because of the open ridges and spectacular views east of Mount Siskiwit.

I highly recommend the Tobin Harbor Trail at all times.

A bit of advice about mid-October IR conditions - we went several years at that time and the days are short, with cold nights. Ice on the water bucket most mornings and it gets dark around 6 pm. Be sure to bring some paperbacks and extra headlamp batteries.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

More specifically, do any of you who have been there think it is worth the extra few miles to go along the Indian Portage trail from McCargoe Cove (instead of the shorter route back up to the Greenstone Ridge via East Chickenbone)?
It does add about 2.4 miles, but as you said, you'll be walking alongside Chickenbone for a bit longer and also get to hike the Greenstone between Chickenbone and Livermore. It's a fairly level hike from McCargoe to West Chickenbone. It is nice to see the water and occasionally you might catch site of a moose dining around shore.
The East Chickenbone trail also eventually comes waterside, just not for as long. It does cut off some mileage, however. I'd say see how you're doing when ready to leave McCargoe, and pick a trail!
earthman
NewbieCake

Post by earthman »

Thank you both for your quick feedback -

One further question....if we did make it to S. Desor on the first night, would it be doable to get down to Todd Harbor on the second day, instead of Hatchet Lake? Either campsite have an edge? Thanks again!

Erik
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

IMO Todd Harbor is MUCH nicer than Hatchet Lake. As I recall, the connector trail is not too tough. Since you have to go through Hatchet in any case, I would just leave it as an option and see how you feel when you get that far.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather