Todd Harbor, or Lane Cove?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

mcgaheyk
NewbieCake

Todd Harbor, or Lane Cove?

Post by mcgaheyk »

I'm putting together a 6 day itinerary, and one itinerary includes Todd Harbor, and one includes Lane Cove. We don't have time to go to both, so what do you think is the better spot? Thanks everyone.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Todd Harbor, or Lane Cove?

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi,

It's kind of like asking "what's better, emeralds or rubies?" Both campgrounds are really nice with unique trails leading to them - I would make the choice based on your overall itinerary and what fits in best.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Todd Harbor has a shelter, which is a plus; it also has a dock, which might be a problem if you get some unruly boaters (not likely, but possible). Couple of possibilities for day hikes over to Hatchet Lake, etc.

Lane Cove has no shelters, but no dock either. No possiblities for day hikes if you want to base camp for a day or two.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Actually there are a couple of day "rambles" available at Lane Cove. Go back along the trail from the campground as if you are going back to the Greenstone. There is a high ridge paralleling the trail on your left. When the trail takes a left to go over a low point in the ridge, climb up the ridge and follow it all the way back towards the campground. Some nice views and it descends to the head of Stockly Bay.

Also, when we were there a couple of years ago the water level was low enough you could beachcomb from the campground northeast quite a ways.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

Lane Cove is quiet and serene, but quite a climb on the way back to the Greenstone.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I day hiked from Lane Cove to Lookout Louise two years ago. Both places should be visited. A couple with a kayak spent an evening at Lane. It's a nice quiet place. A day hiker from Rock Harbor showed up as well (she was in her 80s).