Are these good sites?

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

munk77
NewbieCake

Are these good sites?

Post by munk77 »

Hey all....

A group of guys and I will be heading to Isle Royale in about 2 1/2 weeks for our first visit to the island. Below is the itinerary that we are looking at and wonder if this is a good one and would like to know if the sites listed are good. I know that we will have a great time, but know that staying at good sites helps the experience.

Trip Date: August 16th - August 21st

16th - Rock Harbor to Lane Cove
17th - Lane Cove to Daisy Farm
18th - Daisy Farm to McCargoe Cove
19th - McCargoe Cove to Lake Richie
20th - Lake Richie to Three Mile
21st - Three Mile to Rock Harbor

Any different recommendations? Are these good sites?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Are these good sites?

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi munk77,

All decent sites. Lane Cove is very nice and is a challenging hike with a full pack starting off as you go up and over the Greenstone and then up/over a few smaller ridges to the campground. No shelters.

Daisy Farm is a large campground and is the terminal point for a lot of first-time backpackers out of Rock Harbor, but is a nice setting. Lots of shelters.

McCargoe is a favorite with a lot of people - very scenic.

Lake Richie lacks a certain ambiance in the actual campground but the lake and surroundings are really nice. No shelters.

Three Mile is what it is - a close campground to RH.

Trails on that end of the Island can be rocky/rooty for stretches so make sure everyone has good, well-broken in footwear with decent ankle support.

Have fun!

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Hopefully it's not too dry at IR at this point in time. Two years ago when I went down the switch backs to Lane Cove the dirt had turned to a substance similar to clay marbles. I used my old downhill ski skills to get down that sharp decline area. Enjoy yourself.
Ucity
NewbieCake

Post by Ucity »

On the topic of Lane Cove, my wife and I only have two nights on the island (we have never been).

Our plan is to hike to Lane Cove from Rock Harbor upon disembarking the Queen.

Since it was mentioned, I was just wondering what sort of elevation to expect. Most of our hiking experience has been in the West where a typical 3 hour roundtrip afternoon hike might involve a 1200ft elevation gain.

Obviously we'll be having more gear than we would on a day hike, but I am wondering how long the trek to Lane Cove usually takes folks.

Since we only have two nights on the island, does anyone have any other suggestions.

We don't want to spend too much time setting up and breaking down camp, so we thought that hanging at one place and making excursions was the best plan.

Lane Cove, it seems, is the closest camp to Rock Harbor that lets you stay more than a night.

Thanks!
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

If you take the Tobin Harbor trail from RH it shouldn't be too bad getting up to Greenstone. Nothing like out west for elevation change. It might take you two up to 4 hours (I was 63 two years ago when I did it). Maybe it was 3.5 hours, can't remember. Its a nice site (I used the east most pad). No motor boats (except rangers).
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

Ucity:

You might look at hiking to Land Cove via the Tobin Harbor to the Mt. Franklin Trail then take the Lane Cove Trail to the campsite (no shelters there).

Day two, back up the Lane Cove trail then South on the Mt. Franklin trail (beautiful view from Mt. Franklin) to 3 Mile campground (shelters available). As the name suggests, you're only 3 miles from returning to Rock Harbor via the Rock Harbor Trail.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

Lake Superior is at 600 feet. The top of the Greenstone Ridge where the trail to Lane Cove crosses is 1074 feet for a gain/loss both sides of less than 500 feet. Most of the gain on the Rock Harbor side occurs over a half-mile and on the Lane Cove side over a quarter-mile more or less.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather