Minong

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

rainelde
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Minong

Post by rainelde »

After a great discussion with the ranger on our down day at windigo, we have put plans in place already for next summer to tackle the minong from Mccargo Cove to windigo. I just need advice for a new stove, mines kinda caput. Mainly just for boiling water, pretty much use all dehydrated food. Im not a spring chicken anymore, so this should be interesting.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Minong

Post by DonNewcomb »

This is a very interesting topic with lots of different points of view. I really like the information and advice on http://zenstoves.net/. For what you describe my first choice would be a light-weight alcohol stove. Second choice might be one of the new "systems" like a JetBoil or a MSR Reactor. An advantage of both of these stoves is that you can fly with them, after purging any residual fuel. The I.R. stores sell the appropriate LP canisters and I believe that they sell alcohol fuel too.

P.S. This probably should be in the Gear & Supplies board.
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

You should have a great time on the Minong. I think Little Todd might be my favorite campground.

I'm a fan of the MSR Pocket Rocket. Light, affordable, and I've never had issues with it.
phulst
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by phulst »

We used a Jetboil stove during our week on the island this past June. Wonderful system, and I'd highly recommend it.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

DonNewcomb wrote:The I.R. stores sell the appropriate LP canisters and I believe that they sell alcohol fuel too.
One thing I learned on my trip is that the stores don't sell alcohol stove fuel.
nellnightrider
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by nellnightrider »

thanks for all the replies. I am excited about venturing along the minong. There are always things to see and hear, sunsets to set and the calmness is irreplaceable.