MINONG TRAIL IN SEPT.

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

isleroyaleguy
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

MINONG TRAIL IN SEPT.

Post by isleroyaleguy »

We are preparing for our annual Fall trip starting Sept 16th, this will be our 8th year in a row. We alternate between hiking the various trails and canoeing the inland lakes. This year is our hiking year and we are planning a 9 day trip and thought I would throw out our itiniery to get some input and advice. We are both in our early fortys and are in good shape and have done the Feldtmann loop a couple of times and also most of the Greenstone, but this year we are going to tackle the Minong.

so heres our plan:

day1. take ferry to Rock Harbor the hike to 3 mile campground.
day2. 3 mile to Lake Richie campground
day3. Lake Richie to McCargoe Cove (or possibly on to Todd Harbor if doable)
day4. McCargoe Cove to Todd Harbor
day5. Todd Harbor to Little Todd Harbor
day6. Little Todd to North Desor
day7 North Desor to Wash. Creek (or possibly Huginin Cove but that is a 14+ mile hike)
day8. Huginin Cove to Wash. Creek (or day trip to Huginin Cove)
day9. ferry ride home (sigh)

thanks for any input
IRG
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: MINONG TRAIL IN SEPT.

Post by Kevinl »

Are you crossing on the Voyageur? I'll be on that same boat for your arrival and departure dates, getting off at Rock Harbor and picked up at Windigo, although it looks like we'll be at different campgrounds the whole way. A couple years ago, I did the Minong that same time of year, only starting at McCargoe. It was awesome, great weather, moose making lots of noise.

Little Todd Harbor is my favorite campground. Day 3 to Todd Harbor is doable. Days 6 and 7 are burners. They are all beautiful.

Hope to see you there.
isleroyaleguy
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by isleroyaleguy »

Yes we will be on the Voyager also.

just got back from the BWCA last weekend already packing for Isle Royale
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

I'll be up there during the same time frame and be at Washngton Creek the afternoon/night of the 22nd (your day 7)... so if you don't push all the way to Huginin that day you might see me. If you see a guy wearing the same hat you see in my avatar and a rust orange backpack say "Hi!"
"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Ok, this is what I most LOVE about this forum.. You can make friends and them meet them for the first time on the Island.

Isleroyaleguy - Congrats on selecting the Minong. It's one of those trails everyone should try at least once. You're route is certainly doable; note that you'll be getting in 'late' to RH off the VoyII and so depending on when other boats arrive, Threemile might be full. (Although that time of Sept... I'm guessing you'll be fine..)
The Rock Harbor trail is certainly a good "warm up" to the ruggedness of the Minong. I'd say to go from Richie (or Moskey) to McCargoe, and stay there for a night. No reason to push yourself past a great camp if you don't have to.
From experience, I'd say to just plan on going from Desor North to Washington Creek... Many before you have had the same visions of pushing on to Hugginin, and many before you have decided when they got to that trail post coming off the Minong that Washington Creek is oh so more appealling... :)
You can always day hike it the next day, and you're legs and feet will thank you for the rest.
rainelde
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by rainelde »

Hi everyone,
Our mini hiking trio is thinking about the minong next year. We had a great discussion with the ranger at Washington creek. Will there be anyone planning on a trek next year in september?