Camping with wolves

Questions about trails and campsites on the island.

Moderator: MikeT

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Camping with wolves

Post by johnhens »

The subject of proper camping techniques in relation to wolves on Isle Royale has been discussed.
I came across some suggestions for camping with wolves in Yellowstone by Doug Smith, who has been head of the reintroduction of wolves at Yellowstone. Doug got his start working for Rolf Peterson on IR. I thought they are also appropriate for IR.
He suggests using bear preacutions, ie hanging food 100 yds from the the tent site. He continues on, saying wolves will almost always avoid you. If you come across a wolf that does not seem inclined to move away, stand your ground yell clap, flap your jacket. If they/it come close, if you have bear spray, use it.
Thought I would share thses tips, so what do you think about these? I don't know that I would go to the extent of carrying bear spray on IR, but I definitely hang my food away from my tent.
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Re: Camping with wolves

Post by niners »

I would agree with all of those precautions. Based on our conversations with the rangers on IR, I think they would as well.
jeastbur
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Camping with wolves

Post by jeastbur »

I had asked the ranger during our LNT talk whether to hang food or not. She said not to bother, but it seems like a good thing to do anyway.