Moose / Patterson Lake

Questions about water transportation and fishing on the island.

Moderators: Ingo, johnhens

rdp041781
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Moose / Patterson Lake

Post by rdp041781 »

I'm a first timer to Isle Royale - will be there Aug 13-15 - backpacking with some amateurs, so don't expect to get too far from Rock Harbor. I'd like to spend some time at Moose or Patterson Lake. Any suggestions? Other lakes nearby that you'd suggest? I'll take any advice I can get! Thanks
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Moose / Patterson Lake

Post by Backpacker534 »

I would suggest doing the Scoville Point loop (east of Rock Harbor). It is a relatively short round-trip hike with some very nice views out at the point and nice scenery along the way. It also is a very easy trail. You may also want to check out Suzy's Cave and the Siskowit Mines. They are both on the Rock Harbor Trail only a few miles west of Rock Harbor. I've also heard that Moskey Basin is a beautiful campsite, although I have never been there myself. You posted this in the Canoeing, Kayaking, Fishing thread but you mentioned backpacking, so, hopefully you are walking and not paddling. If so, this should hopefully help you out a bit. If not, then I'm sure someone else will have some info for you. Enjoy!